C/NC

Crapcore
Total votes: 2 (14%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 12 (86%)
Total votes: 14

Re: Band: Botch

Loved them back when they were active. Was underwhelmed by the new track I heard but that could be me just not being so into this thing anymore. One of my friends was their (er, Minus the Bear's) guitar tech and said that dude was an asshole.

NC?
Last edited by penningtron on Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music

Any genre is at least 80% crap and the various offshoots of hardcore have an even slimmer success rate. Botch always felt like a tiny island of awesome in a sea of mediocre stuff.

If you were to describe it on paper I probably wouldn't even give it a chance but they're so inspired and interesting I've always loved them. NC!

Not a mega fan (I like my metalcore w/ more chug and groove, thank you very much - skronky and / or screechy shit doesn't do much for me) but We Are The Romans is definitely a "FUCK YEAH" kinda record. Great imagination and verve w/ solid musicianship that made their skronky moments unusually muscular.

Def a big Jesus Lizard influence w/ the riffing w/out sounding like a rip off band - though I preferred the Am Rep influences that Coalesce brought to the table, but whatever.

Anyway, N.C. for ... Romans alone, even though the rest of their discography ain't amazing.

M.H wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:08 am though I preferred the Am Rep influences that Coalesce brought to the table, but whatever.
There's another one of my 'exception to the rule' awesome bands. Throw in the less hyped Majority Rule and you have my trifecta for heavy bands with screaming singers that I think are unusually amazing.

WeStartToDrift wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:49 pm Love Botch, sometimes I wish they had a more interesting drummer but everything sort of works on 'Romans so what do I care?
I too feel like the drumming was the weak link on the good stuff. He keeps up but rarely gives it that extra push (compared to like Converge Jane Doe and beyond, and yes, Coalesce).
Music

Totally love them, especially Romans. Kinda can't blame them for throwing it in after that, though I think there's good stuff on that last release.

Seeing their first show back tonight in Tacoma, I just missed getting to see them back in the day; the one time they played in Bellingham after I moved there (2001 or so, pretty sure that show is an extra on the last show DVD) they were too metally for my taste, and I didn't really dig into them until a year or two later.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

Big fan back in the day, don't really have the desire to listen to that sort of stuff often anymore. Still a giant NC.

Brian is such a great bass player, I pretty much love everything his does with the bass. His EGC bass is one of my favorites.
guitar in - weaklungband.bandcamp.com/