Fashion Accessory: the Hat

Men's fashion is terribly boring. A good hat can really mix things up, but I'm bothered by how every hat style seems a minefield of unwanted cultural associations.

The fedora: no hat has been tragically overtaken the way the fedora was. It has a design that says I like my casual just a little fancy. The 2015 Coachella crowd turned it into a uniform, then Target started selling them. I'm wondering if soon the dust will have settled and a person can enjoy wearing one from time to time and have it just be a hat, not a flag for douchery.

Bowlers, pork pies and derbies. I like all of these in theory but they're all harder to pull off because they're so big and round or little and compact looking depending on the model. I could handle the ska association of the pork pie fine but could do without the ultra violence droogie connotations of the derby.

Newsie hats- they've been my compromise with my love of hats and my dislike of being "that guy" in that hat. I'm sure someone could ruin it for me with choice words.

Baseball caps- I think I'm the last person on earth who's not into the perfectly flat brim. I don't often wear one often but when I do I know I'm out of style because my brim is curved. Also a shame that douche bros and normies have completely appropriated the mesh trucker hat.

Beanies with brims- also thought these were douchery but I love my kids in them, and then my buddy looks fine in his but maybe it's cause he's the least douchey guy I know. Or maybe it's cause he isn't a white guy.

Bucket hat-also adorable on children. Trying to remember if I've seen a grown man pull one off.

Re: Fashion Accessory: the Hat

In my high school years a Mötley Crüe painter's hat never left my head save for the hours I was in school because the wearing of hats wasn't allowed. I even slept in it because I was hardcore. In college it was a fedora, then a bowler. Today I rarely wear hats for fashion, only for warmth, and that's where knitted skull caps come into play. Was never really into baseball caps until I found a pretty sweet one that spoke to me...

How it started
How it's going
Hats are not crap, especially fedoras with safari flaps in the back.

Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

Dapper hats are great if you're taken to wearing dapper clothes. The problem with fancy hats is most people are dressed like casual fuckups, and then the hat only makes it worse. Looking like a methhead, comic book dork, or high-school shooter wearing a fedora only makes you look that much more like a methhead, dork or HS shooter, not Cary Grant.

I never wear a hat for “fashion”, per se. Pretty much only for function:

- Waking up early in the summer to mow the grass before it gets too hot, I will wear a ballcap to cover my bedhead, and then will shower afterwards.

- Knit cap/beanie in cold situations/winter, but only for a short amount of time.

I am 45, am fortunate to have a full head of hair, and kinda like showing it off.

For all of you who like wearing hats for fashion, you do you. I won’t say it’s crap.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)