Herb: Parsley

Essential
Total votes: 14 (93%)
Shrug
Total votes: 1 (7%)
Total votes: 15

Re: Herb: Parsley

Parents and sisters used to give me grief when I was a kid because I would always eat the parsley.. "You know, J, that's just there for seasoning / decoration and you're not supposed to eat it." Whatever, it's on my plate, I'm eating it.

As far as green, leafy things go... it's okay I guess. Cilantro kicks its ass.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

I use flat leaf parsley more than most herbs. My go-to dish is a pasta aglio e olio recipe from Ina Garten, it calls for a 1/4 cup of fresh parsley at the end. Love it.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

the heart and soul of a good Green Goddess salad dressing. Can't ever crap on that.

It's a biennial in NW Indiana. Gotta get a new one this year as the one from last year was on its second year. Keep 'em protected and they'll certainly make it through one of our winters.

penningtron wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:35 am Italian parsley is great. Don't really care for the curly kind outside of some middle eastern dishes (tabbouleh mainly).
I have a tomato lentil soup recipe from former FM "electrons" that calls for the curly parsley. You have to severely chop it, like way more than you would for tabbouleh, like keep going until your wrist falls off, then chop some more, but it's completely essential to the dish.

Obviously the Italian one is a great addition to pasta. Not Crap.

I like it every time I use it, but I always end up with 4/5 of a bag decomposing in my fridge. I guess I need to learn more recipes.
Never needed the curly kind.

Do you folks wash your herbs first? I feel like it kills the flavour, unless you remember to do it half a day in advance so it fully dries.

andyman wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:43 pm Do you folks wash your herbs first? I feel like it kills the flavour, unless you remember to do it half a day in advance so it fully dries.
It depends on the herb, but generally yes, unless it grows pretty far from the ground. e.g. cuts from the top of a 1 meter tall rosemary bush, I would not wash unless there were spiders etc in it.

Agree with the above re: Italian parsley being NC. Isn’t that the herb in Bob Weston’s tour pasta recipe?