?

Procrastination over
Total votes: 4 (29%)
I know why you suffer
Total votes: 10 (71%)
Total votes: 14

Re: Short song-dome: S.O.D. vs Napalm Death

The "funny" short song genre was something of a nuisance on grindcore/crossover records in the 80s; perfectly comparable with the skits/interludes on Hip-hop albums that followed De La Souls debut (R.I.P. trugoy but no thanks for popularizing the skit on "3 feet high..."). It was taken to its logical conclusion on Sore Throats ridiculous 89' "Disgrace to the corpse of sid" album which has 90 (ninety!!!) "songs" on the A side (b-side was superb as was the Saw throat record in the same era; killer band when they weren't goofing around). Later you had those multi-artist 7" comps on Slap-a-ham records where all artists delivered a 2-5 second long song. "Fun" as a gimmick/novelty? Sure. Good music? Get real...

Anyway, it goes without saying that a piece of music needs to be longer than that to be anything more than some kind of "statement"; i'd say 30-40 seconds minimum.

Favourite micro-song? Nuclear Assaults "Hang the pope" but that one is practically prog by comparison...

Big ND fan here, but S.O.D did it first.

(Yes, demo recordings, Wehrmacht's 'E', blah blah blah - S.O.D. got it on wax first and that counts for something.)

And (taking into account the B-side), SEoD>Scum (though the A-side of Scum on it's own presents a very tough contest). SEoD is an incredible record.

Musically as crossover bands in their respective times and places these debut albums have much more in common than their political / aesthetic differences would suggest, IMO.

MoreSpaceEcho wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:13 am Way more entertaining than any of the Anthrax records IMO, sounds better too.
Absolutely; I'd say "Among the living" was a conscious attempt to bring the S.O.D Flavour to Anthrax sound with joey Belladonnas smooth "Journey cover band" voice and more pop-metal song-structures added for maximum commercial impact; listen to Anthrax first two and you essentially hear an Exciter Rip-off (debut) or some Metal Church/Agent steel US power-metal deal with *slight* thrash tendencies (Spreading tve disease); no, the S.O.D. record gave them a vision and "sound"; sadly, no later Anthrax album could pull it off mainly because of the commercial ambitions-SOD was this FOAD thing in the terminology of the time and that's what made it rock regardless of the dumb and dated 80s edgelord antics