Sports Phenomenon: Trash-Talking?

Crap
Total votes: 2 (15%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 11 (85%)
Total votes: 13

Sports Phenomenon: Trash-Talking

Was just reading about the LSU Vs. Iowa NCAA Women's Basketball commotion and I don't get the hubub. Aside from the glaring racial component to this row isn't sports partly supposed to be about trash-talking and getting inside
of your opponent's head? That's the funnest part. Watching numerous seasons of Letterkenny has taught me that the skill of chirping is paramount, boys. Where have we fallen as a society when sports teams can't intimidate their rivals with gleeful mockery and gloating? I'm not a sports-watcher but on-field juvenile antics can make it tolerable.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

Re: Sports Phenomenon: Trash-Talking

Pure waffles on this because it very much depends on who is doing it and how it's done.

Would agree that it's an art form; have to be able to think fast to do it effectively. Similar skillset needed as improvising a skit or a solo.

My brain functions way too slowly. In the days I played any sort of competitive sports, I was horrible at it and absolutely would get flustered if others did it to me.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Re: Sports Phenomenon: Trash-Talking

I am a pretty casual baseball fan. That makes it the pro sport I know the most about; a low bar to clear. Sometimes I use this to participate in shit talk about my friends from different states' teams. Most of them are so nice they don't even get into it. They just patiently and kindly share why they love their team. Real buzz kill.