the Black Crowes

Crape
Total votes: 19 (66%)
Not Crape
Total votes: 10 (34%)
Total votes: 29

band: the Black Crowes

Recently tore through the excellent book by their drummer, Steve Gorman. Super funny, great writing, and he does not care for the Robinson Brothers. Tons of drama, and that band was lead by two knuckleheads hell-bent on destroying themselves. Never gave them that much thought, but am now in the full throes of enjoying their first three records, and that lost session for the album, Band. They rip. He's still a fussy singer, but he can howl for sure. I'm a full on fan now, but I'm not likely gonna go too far into their catalog. Would take recommendations for any good live stuff around Southern Harmony, though.

NOT CRAPE

Re: band: the Black Crowes

kerble wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:03 pm Recently tore through the excellent book by their drummer, Steve Gorman. Super funny, great writing, and he does not care for the Robinson Brothers. Tons of drama, and that band was lead by two knuckleheads hell-bent on destroying themselves. Never gave them that much thought, but am now in the full throes of enjoying their first three records, and that lost session for the album, Band. They rip. He's still a fussy singer, but he can howl for sure. I'm a full on fan now, but I'm not likely gonna go too far into their catalog.

NOT CRAPE
"Frozen Pipe Bursts..." serious...

Do no play yourself, and skip later on when Luther Dickinson was taking the "Not Rich Robinson..." guitar slot in the band.

Apparently when Chris told Luther he was kicking some ideas around after they broke up, Luther asked if Chris had called Steve. When Chris said no?

Luther said "Then I'm out."

Past all of that...

When Noel and Liam are giving you grief about being childish?

That's an accomplishment.

Re: band: the Black Crowes

I like the first 3 albums just fine - a bit too much Faces in the mix for me to really love, but that's just my tastes - and they hold their own w/ Page in some of the footage of that collab I've seen ('Wanton Song' - fuck yeah!), which is not to be casually dismissed.

I will say I find it frustrating that it seems the bratty (though not full on psycho) behaviour that pushed them over the edge into a VH1 behind the music level career, I wouldn't have bet that they'd be the success story outta that very late 80s / early 90s retro rock scene w/ (IMO) superior competition like Cry of Love or Drivin and Cryin or the Four Horsemen. But that's how the dice fall.

N.C.