C/NC

NOT CRAP
Total votes: 7 (88%)
CRAP
Total votes: 1 (13%)
Total votes: 8

Filmmaker: Kelly Reichardt

Director of lots of small (and great) films, mostly set in the American west (major exception of her first feature RIVER OF GRASS filmed in her native Florida).

New one SHOWING UP just came out in the States.

I still need to catch up w/ NIGHT MOVES and WENDY AND LUCY, but love all her other films (and the last story/section of CERTAIN WOMEN is probably her masterpiece).

Definitely a different vibe/pace/feel to most other American directors of her generation and/or level of success.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

Re: Filmmaker: Kelly Reichardt

I really love Old Joy and think about it frequently enough as I get older. I think a lot of us may be able to relate to parts of both main characters, or to both sides of their dynamic in different moments, which is a pretty delicate thing to pull off, the subtle envies between them too, all that. I should revisit it soon.

I don't think I've managed to see anything else of hers in spite of adding many of her films to various "to watch" lists that remain virtually undented these days.

Crap. Lazy, self-indulgent filmmaking.

To be fair, though, she's not as godawful as some of the crap that came out of the "mumblecore" scene... Lynn Shelton's My Effortless Brilliance (2008) was Mouchette-level torment, the epitome of the we-have-no-script-and-are-making-up-crap-as-we-go-along jeanre.

Dougal666 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:02 pm Lynn Shelton's My Effortless Brilliance (2008) was Mouchette-level torment, the epitome of the we-have-no-script-and-are-making-up-crap-as-we-go-along jeanre.
Lynne Shelton was working with improvised acting so making it up as they went along was kind of the concept. It's a feature, not a bug. But whether the feature works to the films advantage is obviously in the eye of the viewer. I've never seen My Effortless Brilliance, but I thought Sword of Trust was decent.

In 2019, First Cow was my favorite film in a year that also included Midsommar, Knives Out, Jo Jo Rabbit and Waves.

There is a brief scene in Meek's Cutoff featuring Shirley Henderson chasing a bit of fabric and calling her husband's name that took my breath away, and I've always wanted to ask Reichardt if it was scripted or just a lightning-in-a-bottle moment they happened to catch.

I got in the most emotionally-heated movie discussion of my life once when I said that I didn't think I could completely trust any man's critical take on Wendy and Lucy. I was not talked out of that opinion.

I will be going to see Showing Up this week and I expect to thoroughly enjoy it.

She's in the pantheon for me.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

iembalm wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:37 pm
I got in the most emotionally-heated movie discussion of my life once when I said that I didn't think I could completely trust any man's critical take on Wendy and Lucy. I was not talked out of that opinion.
Just caught up with this last night and it might be one of the biggest bummer films ever made, but maybe it hits even harder as a dog person.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

losthighway wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:20 pm
Dougal666 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:02 pm Lynn Shelton's My Effortless Brilliance (2008) was Mouchette-level torment, the epitome of the we-have-no-script-and-are-making-up-crap-as-we-go-along jeanre.
Lynne Shelton was working with improvised acting so making it up as they went along was kind of the concept. It's a feature, not a bug. But whether the feature works to the films advantage is obviously in the eye of the viewer. I've never seen My Effortless Brilliance, but I thought Sword of Trust was decent.
Yeah, I know that's what she was doing... and improvised acting is a feature which 99% of the time (for any director) ends up in disaster.
That's what I mean by "lazy filmmaking", like Altman not using a storyboard (which shows).