Dining-Out Alone

Sad
Total votes: 2 (7%)
Not Sad
Total votes: 26 (93%)
Total votes: 28

Re: Sad/Not Sad: Dining-Out Alone

Not sad, although I’ll always choose takeout if I’m close to home. Having said that, I’m almost never alone at home. But I don’t mind reading while I eat at a restaurant.

But I’ll also sometimes bring takeout to my hotel room, if I’m traveling, and eat it on the floor. In a strange way, I kind of look forward to this.

But if I’m traveling and pick up coffee to drink in my room, I will pour it into a mug 100% of the time. (Different rant: coffee shops need to return to using mugs for use inside. Sitting in a cafe with a paper cup of coffee is some bullshit.)

I have to do this frequently on business travel. I don't consider it sad; it's more or less a necessity. However, I do feel less awkward sitting and eating dinner at the bar (if there is one) rather than taking up a table for one. This isn't about it being sad, though; rather, I don't need a whole table for myself.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

jfv wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:39 am However, I do feel less awkward sitting and eating dinner at the bar (if there is one) rather than taking up a table for one. This isn't about it being sad, though; rather, I don't need a whole table for myself.
If I'm dining out alone, I always look to see if they have a bar and sit there. Rather take up one seat than a table for four or even two.

I don't mind it if I'm out of town, it's not like anyone else is looking at you thinking "why are they here by themselves?" If I'm home though and the wife is out, I'd rather put on a record, pour a cocktail, and cook for myself.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

If you really want to take a challenge and dial your consciousness back to where it might have been in an earlier era, order, sit and slowly eat your meal without looking at your phone or reading a book. Just sit there and taste your food. A worthwhile endeavor. Might not be hard for everyone here, but it would take a conscious effort for me.