Really? STP is:

CRAP
Total votes: 15 (68%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 7 (32%)
Total votes: 22

Re: Band: Stone Temple Pilots

Kind of a tough one for me. Was a fan of theirs as a teen, had their first 3 albums, played their first 2 a lot.

These days, I've fallen out with most of their hits, but won't change it when 'Vasoline' or 'Big Bang Baby' comes on. And despite its subject matter, I love the groove on 'Sex Type Thing'.

Could probably assemble a solid 10 or 12 song comp of songs that I'd still listen to. So I'll give them a N/C.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

very long interview but there's some meat on the bone there. when he compares plush to a country song, i kinda see how they went on to big empty from the crow soundtrack.
of course the specter of scott lingers in the background the entire time. robert still respects him despite what must be a complicated past. (correct me if i'm wrong, i'm no stp scholar.)
checking out some of scott's solo stuff wouldn't be a total waste of time either. he had a good ear.
penningtron wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:08 am Crap.. WF for that accidental shoegaze part in Big Bang Baby.
shoegaze? i was going to say glam.

i used to trip over myself to change the station whenever they came on. we have a weird relationship now.

Ooh, I love this. I like when a band has so many elements worthy of hate and is seemingly universally panned by people of discerning taste, but has stealth quality that can go unnoticed.

See also: Alice in Chains, The Toadies

The STP debut was on full rotation for me when I was 11 years old and in the BMG music club with mail order CDs from a catalog. As much as that album is detestable they really grew into a curious blend of glam and psychedelic elements that had surprisingly great moments. Agreed on the Crow soundtrack tune too. That had me asking my parents what it meant to be "conscience-laden". I mean the band can't be all dumb if they can squeeze vocabulary like that into a rock song in a way that actually makes sense.

Also: When he wasn't yarling, Scott Weiland could croon like an angel.