C/NC: telling someone all about your dreams

Crap, go back to sleep if yr lookin for someone who cares
Total votes: 5 (56%)
Not Crap, I am so interested
Total votes: 4 (44%)
Total votes: 9

Re: Talking about your dreams

Very hard to do it well enough to be engaging. You either need to be incredibly succinct ("I dreamt I was in a sword fight with a giant salmon"), or set it up well to get all of the dramatic punch which is very, very challenging considering that dreams don't usually operate with the temporal logic that makes stories good.

Part of it is that the sensation of the dream is palpable for the dreamer and has a lack of clear reference points to the listener.

My wife once called me out for interrupting her dream recounts with my own. We later realized that we were seldom interested in a detailed recap of a dream from most anyone, but still we share. I'd argue I'm better at summarizing.

prowler wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:58 am crap, waffles if the person you're talking to appears in the dream. but even then it's usually not worth it
There’s a Built to Spill lyric that says the exact same (correct) thing: “no one wants to hear / what you dreamt about / unless you dreamt about them.”

Additional waffles for David Lynch, but he doesn’t actually *talk about* his dreams.

Otherwise, crap. Make art about ‘em. Show, don’t tell.

I just arose from a dream wherein I was bit on the arm by some indeterminate insect. It looked shiny blue and mechanical. I ran into my childhood home and started freaking-out telling my siblings I've just been bit by something and need to go to the emergency room. The bite mark started growing into what appeared to be a miniscule skin volcano with the flesh inside of the crater slowly becoming necrotic. Then I woke up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Being conscious of tactile stimuli in an unconscious state is a weird and lasting feeling. This in-flight movie was sponsored by William Castle's "Percepto."
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell