are healthy and brave (No votes)
need a doctor
Total votes: 2 (20%)
are fake news
Total votes: 1 (10%)
remind me of my ex-bandmate (No votes)
make a mockery of mental illness and body dysmorphia
have always existed but now they have a platform (for good/bad)
Total votes: 4 (40%)
don't affect me. lol
delete this.
Total votes: 10

plurals

believe it or not, i debated posting this. it is not meant to be icky or ableist, but i can't help that. so putting aside the question of whether this is appropriate for a cis hetero white male to ask, let me ask anyway...

wtf is going on here?
wikipedia wrote:Dissociative identity disorder (DID), formerly known as multiple personality disorder, and commonly referred to as split personality disorder or dissociative personality disorder, is a member of the family of dissociative disorders classified by the DSM-5, DSM-5-TR, ICD-10, ICD-11, and Merck Manual for diagnosis. It remains a controversial diagnosis

Re: plurals

I'll bite.

This type of naval-gazing identity activism is just what the capitalist oligarchy loves, since it can polarize idiots on both sides of the fence and does nothing to threaten their hegemony.

Of course, the identity activists think they're sticking it to the man, and their opponents also think they're sticking it to the "elite", but they're both functioning in the well defined boxes of what is allowed and refusing to engage the injustices that affect all of humanity - which is an overwhelming task. Better to stick to the low-hanging fruit of "I am [fill in the blank] and demand to be respected for it".

Geiginni wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:36 pm I'll bite.

This type of naval-gazing identity activism is just what the capitalist oligarchy loves, since it can polarize idiots on both sides of the fence and does nothing to threaten their hegemony.

Of course, the identity activists think they're sticking it to the man, and their opponents also think they're sticking it to the "elite", but they're both functioning in the well defined boxes of what is allowed and refusing to engage the injustices that affect all of humanity - which is an overwhelming task. Better to stick to the low-hanging fruit of "I am [fill in the blank] and demand to be respected for it".
i think this perfectly captures my hesitation in bringing it up.

we shouldn't have to acknowledge or respect it but there's always the possibility that it will come to that in the future...

I'm all for smashing the patriarchy and sticking it to the man as the next person, but reading this reminds me of my dad making the change from channel 4,6,11 and 13 to digital cable. Clearly over my head now, probably time to just settle in with a good book.

I saw this a few weeks ago, how timely!

https://www.pbs.org/video/busy-inside-gp6wjv/

My takeaway was that the vast majority (at least over 90%) of people who exhibit this have also been the victims of horrific childhood sexual abuse.

Not recognizing this as something that at the very least needs to be acknowledged, and then coped-with, treated or put into some useful (and hopefully) beneficial perspective for the sufferer seems akin to someone who had their leg ripped off mid-femur deny any need for help and insist you accept their bleeding stump as it is, regardless of how it many impact anyone - themselves included.

Geiginni wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:48 pm I saw this a few weeks ago, how timely!

https://www.pbs.org/video/busy-inside-gp6wjv/

My takeaway was that the vast majority (at least over 90%) of people who exhibit this have also been the victims of horrific childhood sexual abuse.

Not recognizing this as something that at the very least needs to be acknowledged, and then coped-with, treated or put into some useful (and hopefully) beneficial perspective for the sufferer seems akin to someone who had their leg ripped off mid-femur deny any need for help and insist you accept their bleeding stump as it is, regardless of how it many impact anyone - themselves included.
Otherwise known as MK Ultra or trauma based mind control. Available info is shadowy and piecemeal but it seems to be a real phenomenon. It's been connected with Nazi scientists and the CIA. Also the Manson family. Throw in LSD and stuff gets weirder. I'm sure any full expose would produce mass horror if what is written is close to the truth.

So "allowed" indeed that you jumped at the chance to put them down. "Low-hanging fruit" indeed.

Why would they need to defer to whatever criteria you have set up for valid activism, when you are obviously outside of their sphere of concern?

Assuming there is even any "activism" going on here. There is nothing even indicating this in the images posted!

"think they're sticking it to the man", "refusing to engage" - where do you get this from?

I'd have to know far more about this to say anything informed, but from peeking at some of the accounts and a subreddit thus far it looks like another kind of neurodivergency-awareness/exploration/community-building, nothing too out of the ordinary. Not crap in this regard.
born to give

kokorodoko wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:37 pm

So "allowed" indeed that you jumped at the chance to put them down. "Low-hanging fruit" indeed.

Why would they need to defer to whatever criteria you have set up for valid activism, when you are obviously outside of their sphere of concern?

Assuming there is even any "activism" going on here. There is nothing even indicating this in the images posted!

"think they're sticking it to the man", "refusing to engage" - where do you get this from?

I'd have to know far more about this to say anything informed, but from peeking at some of the accounts and a subreddit thus far it looks like another kind of neurodivergency-awareness/exploration/community-building, nothing too out of the ordinary. Not crap in this regard.
To me, "identity activism", whether it be BLM or this, is fundamentally a call for awareness and respect. These screenshots are confusing to me. They should be treated with care/respect. I'd hate to insult someone based off my own lack of comprehension.