To crap or not to crap

C
Total votes: 10 (50%)
Nc
Total votes: 10 (50%)
Total votes: 20

Band: Deftones

Yep.

Liked'em during my teenager years. Around the Fur specially. Vocalist can be too much but I tolerate him. Good riffs. Stopped paying attention to them after White Pony. Recently I listened to Saturday Night Wrist and to my surprise I think is Very Good.

The only band from the Nu-Metal era I respect. Probably because they weren't very Numetalesque.

Re: Band: Deftones

A somewhat guilty pleasure of my partner. I get it: if you squint you can kind of hear MBV or Hum or whatever, but it's still pretty of its time with the drop tuning cheese grater guitar and piccolo snare. Also the excessive breathing into the mic. That Chino dude has some decent side projects I can tolerate but still going with Crap here.
Music

Surprised to see any positive notes on these guys around here. I abashedly call them not crap, in spite of some obvious signifiers that would cause anyone around here to roll their eyes.

All said the band has more in common with Failure, Hum and Depeche Mode than Korn or Limp Bizkit. When ever I dig into their more recent stuff it has a surprising amount of enjoyable, heavy, post metal riffage and the requisite breathy crooning- even if it's not as bold or as iconic as Around the Fur. Their debut reads like some ghetto Californian kids with some big feelings hiding in their Jnco jeans.

Debut, so-so. They have the dynamics in place but the songs are generally lacking.

Around the Fur is a huge jump forward and combines then state of the art rockin' (big groovin' rhythms, explosive dynamics, heavy yet supple) w/ a lush, effeminative intimacy. I really like this record.

White Pony takes a big textural step forward but is somewhat hindered by the curse of middlebrow "artistry" and the roots of the decadence and indulgence that really made them loose focus going forward are present. I think it's good enough overall, though overrated.

The rest is pretty patchy (dddddrrrugs and dysfunction is obvious) though there's normally a few tracks where their instincts don't desert them.

The band development from Diamond Eyes onwards is severely restrained by their lazy guitarist. Dude repeats himself every record, just detuned a bit for one album and then adds another string to his guit the next, then repeats the process. Kinda laughable, really.

I say N.C for having an idiosyncratic formula and delivering on it regularly enough, but most of their records overall are good, not great.

A band I've tried with on a few occasions (White Pony, Ohms) and I can't find anything to latch onto.

Crap, but I don't hate them, I get why people like 'em.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."