Favorite (classic lineup) Motorhead record?

Motörhead (1977)
Total votes: 2 (15%)
Overkill (1979)
Total votes: 5 (38%)
Bomber (1979) (No votes)
Ace of Spades (1980)
Total votes: 3 (23%)
No Sleep 'til Hammersmith (1981 - live)
Total votes: 3 (23%)
Iron Fist (1982) (No votes)
Total votes: 13

Re: Favorite (classic lineup) Motorhead record?

Out of the options here?

Overkill

"Limb From Limb" is one of the trio performances on a studio record. There should be a picture of it next to "Keeper..." in the dictionary. Past that, "Capricorn" is a pretty solid piece of writing.

Now, big picture?

A record called Tear Ya Down: The Rarities was released a bit after 2000. if you are a fan of this era of the band? Might want to give it a listen. It is like the Thunder Down Under of the Motorhead catalog.

Overkill for me, they haven't quite figured out what they're doing so there's a messy / gnarly edge that kinda sonically reminds me of Crust punk, but the songs are ripping. V. much an ability vs attitude record, creating a unique and awesome end result. It really is ground zero for so much extreme punk and metal that followed in the 80s.

Bomber is more coherent but only has a few killer tunes and Ace of Spades is cleaner and sharper but (heresy time) I think it's vastly overrated and Iron Fist finds them running the formula into the ground to the point of dullness.

I much prefer Another Perfect Day and 90s Motörhead (the 80s stuff is good but the 4 piece really went into overdrive a little later on) over the classic lineup stuff by quite some margin.

M.H wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:24 am Overkill for me, they haven't quite figured out what they're doing so there's a messy / gnarly edge that kinda sonically reminds me of Crust punk, but the songs are ripping. V. much an ability vs attitude record, creating a unique and awesome end result. It really is ground zero for so much extreme punk and metal that followed in the 80s.
This I wanted to post initially but I was feelin lazy