Coldplay?

Crap
Total votes: 13 (76%)
Not crap
Total votes: 4 (24%)
Total votes: 17

Re: Band: Coldplay

I was a casual fan of the first couple of records. I remember at the time thinking highly of A Rush of Blood to the Head (...that it was much better than their debut) and wondering why so many copies of that album ended up in the "used CDs for sale" bin.

I'm not as familiar with their newer stuff, and I'm less interested in what I do hear.

Anyway, I don't dislike them. I guess I will give them a relatively unenthusiastic NC.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

I bet more middle-aged married-straight-couple sex happens after a Coldplay show than on any other night of the year.

On the old forum, there was a ridiculous thread in which many people (who should’ve known better) argued that Cheeky Girls were better than Coldplay, because the Cheeky Girls didn’t disguise the cynicism behind their shitty, grating music.

I’ll vote crap on Coldplay, but mostly because I just think they’re bland.

Around the early 2000s I would've given them a not crap, but not anymore. Way too much bland, grocery store soundtrack, whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh music. Also, Chris Martin's smile-y "oh I'm just a normal guy ha ha" persona irritates me.

I still think 'Clocks' is a good song, though, and Viva La Vida has some quality stuff. I also like the fact that Martin got Michael Stipe to sing in public again (at some televised benefit).
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

I appreciates an anthem and "Viva la Vida" is a damn fine anthem; Will Champion: hubba hubba; but, no amount of pulchritude or stirring string arrangements will ever make me not crap on Coldplay.

Here is wisdom: Doves > Coldplay
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:19 am but, no amount of pulchritude or stirring string arrangements will ever make me not crap on Coldplay.
Yeah, I'm reconsidering my NC vote. They've done some awful stuff that unfortunately more than negates the stuff that I like of theirs.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

I want to hate them. I really do. But then I hear the song 'In My Place' and start thinking about losing my wife, and how totally fucked I feel, and they transition to that last part 'Please, please, please, come back and sing to me' and I just fall completely apart for the next 24 hours.

Abstain.

I liked their first two albums, mainly because they seemed comfortable with who they were as a band and how they played off each other. Then it seemed that they bought into their own hype and became what they thought they should be in order to be the biggest band in the world. They weren't the first, nor were they the last.

I'm not going to vote because there's such a clear before-and-after that I don't think either option is appropriate.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."