JHS

Crap
Total votes: 1 (25%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 3 (75%)
Total votes: 4

Brand: JHS

Kind of spinning off the Rick Beato C/NC...

I used to like the video series but it has gotten a little eye-roll-y with scripted sketches. They haven't done that for a while, so maybe they realized that's not what people come to them for.

Josh gets a lot of shit for inflating second hand pedal prices and has recently been swinging back with statements along the lines of, "I don't tell people how to price their pedals and you didn't want the pedal I talked about until I talked about it.

I actually have the Haunting Mids pedal as it looked (and turned out to be) a legitimately useful tool. I think his Three Series - great sounding, no frills pedals for ninety nine dollars - is pretty cool. Legends of Fuzz? Maybe not so much but then I'm not looking for another fuzz clone. I get that he makes them because they sell and he has a staff to pay but I'd like to see something more inspired come out of his shop; something tells me he has a half-built hand-made tape echo in a back room. That new pedal that mimics different battery types looks cool but... (See below about the jams.)

I dislike that I can't buy his pedals through his site, meaning I have to pay somebody else's markup but, again, I have only one and I'm not looking at getting another.

The jams don't do anything for me. Aside from sounding aesthetically the same, I'm not sure how he expects anybody to tell the difference between two transistors over a YT stream.

I never watch the live streams. I watched one about spring reverb with the Sixty Cycle Hum guy (and that guy gets a Crap from me) but otherwise, I'd prefer ten to twenty minutes. You're not Contrapoints, don't do an hour. (In fact, CP's last video was two hours. That shit needs to stop, too.)

NC with some waffles for the eye rolls.
🎸 krakoa.bandcamp.com
📚 barnesandnoble.com/s/Charlie%20Pauken
🥪 sandwichbully.blogspot.com

Re: Brand: JHS

Owen wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:47 pm Dude has big Youth Pastor Vibes.
He really does.

Not a fan of the vids. I also have the Haunting Mids, it sounds good and has a ghost on it. I just got their A/B/Y pedal last week, now I can run my Deluxe and the Mesa at the same time without having the tone go all to shit. Which is nice.

N/C, waffles for the vids, waffle waffles cause I like that he'll rep other pedal companies, that's a cool move.
work: http://oldcolonymastering.com
fun: https://morespaceecho.com

I remember seeing years ago that the owner of my fav local shop said that he would "never again" be carrying JHS pedals. I had no idea what this was about, but I eventually found the following on Reddit. Granted this is like 6 years old;

"JHS isn't liked because they're partnered with a pretty a radical organization called IHOPKC (International House of Prayer) which is a superchurch-type of religious sect that's had some questionable investigations into their practices. They're considered extreme by even a lot of Christians. They're pretty homophobic and they supported the "Kill the Gays" bill in Uganda to an extent. They're featured in the documentary "God Loves Uganda" which shows a lot of what they're up to and criticized for and documents it.

JHS is listed in their store with an album by JHS (Joshua Heath Scott) and here's a video of him off their site where he's listed as the Worship Leader.

IHOPKC also has their in house graphic designer do JHS promos, and they've shared a ton of staff.

In addition to that they're frequently accused (accurately) of stealing circuits without proper credit given and they make claims that the circuits are results of their own R&D. Notably, they tried to force Devi Ever out of distribution deals by smearing her after she (correctly) pointed out that her Hyperion circuit was taken and sold as an "original pedal" by JHS.

There's a list somewhere on this sub of all the stuff they've cloned, what their model is, and what the original is. Mostly though, it's the ties to the questionable, homophobic religious organization that bothers people."

I never bought any JHS product until earlier this year. I didn't want to take my Super Fuzz to bars, so I picked up a second hand Legends Of Fuzz "Supreme" which is supposed to be a straight Super Fuzz clone. Doesn't sound exactly the same, not as smooth/pleasing in the low freq, but it'll work. I know, I bought one of his things, but I would never directly give this guy money. Didn't realize he'd become a youtube personality. Gross.
Radio show https://www.wmse.org/program/the-tom-wa ... xperience/
My band https://redstuff.bandcamp.com/
Solo project https://tomwanderer.bandcamp.com/

I have a Crayon I bought from an FM which is cool when dialed in, but the usable range is so narrow and finicky that I don't find myself using it often. It just makes me appreciate EQD stuff that can be equally over the top, but has a wide range of usable settings for any instrument you throw at it. I can't say I'd go out of my way to buy more JHS stuff.
Music