CRAP
Total votes: 2 (20%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 7 (70%)
I don’t care. I don’t like baseball.
Total votes: 1 (10%)
Total votes: 10

Baseball pace of play device: The Pitch Clock

I have watched more early season baseball this year than I have in a LONG time, and the pitch clock is the main reason. Statistics say games have been sped up by an average of 30 minutes or so, but it seems like even more. I love it.

NC. Does anyone NOT like this??

Waffle: I don’t necessarily like the penalty (automatic ball or strike), but I don’t know what else could be effective as a penalty.

(Offering a “don’t care” option because I know there will be folks who don’t like baseball and will say that anyway.)
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Re: Baseball pace of play device: The Pitch Clock

I've not seen an MLB game with the pitch clock yet but it seems kind of cunty, and too ADHD...just what baseball needed, another statistic. I would prefer more latitude to the umpire to make the call if they feel an undo or purposeful delay of game is happening. The drag-assing just feels right otherwise, and also gives more time for proper heckling from the stands.

As far as pace of play, I like the new rule against the infield shift that results in more base hits, etc., but the pitch clock is not thrilling me. Friday's Brewer game was over in like 2 hours 10 minutes. Fuck that. I get that some people (like players, broadcasters, cleaning crew, etc.) might want shorter games, but as a fan I'd rather not have a third of the game shaved off. Especially on the weekends. It's like going to a movie but they play it speeded up to get you back out the door. I also hate the automatic runner on second in extra innings.

I did love seeing Manny Machado getting called out on a clock violation, though. So it did have at least one benefit.
Radio show https://www.wmse.org/program/the-tom-wa ... xperience/
My band https://redstuff.bandcamp.com/
Solo project https://tomwanderer.bandcamp.com/

I had stopped paying close attention to baseball a bit a few years ago, and one of the most startling sports-related things I've ever experienced was switching my TV to an extra-innings game last season and learning that they had started putting a runner on second base after the ninth. That was quite a WTF moment, and after careful consideration, I think it sucks.

The pitch clock, eh, why not? Although...

Tom Wanderer wrote:
Friday's Brewer game was over in like 2 hours 10 minutes.
When I lived in Milwaukee in the 90s, the round-trip bus I would take out to County Stadium took longer than that.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

zorg wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:15 am I've not seen an MLB game with the pitch clock yet but it seems kind of cunty, and too ADHD...just what baseball needed, another statistic. I would prefer more latitude to the umpire to make the call if they feel an undo or purposeful delay of game is happening. The drag-assing just feels right otherwise, and also gives more time for proper heckling from the stands.
for real. last year by the time i got to my seat it was already the 2nd inning. this year i will end up with 75 minutes max of actual drinking time. that's not entertainment.