green apples vs. red apples

Green apples
Total votes: 9 (56%)
Red apples
Total votes: 7 (44%)
Total votes: 16

Re: Green apples vs. Red apples

There was a place outside of Eau Claire MI (not WI) called Tree-mendous Farms that had the largest variety of apples I'd ever seen. When I first visted, there was an old feller sitting behind two big tables shaped like an L and bushel after bushel of apples in front of him. All different varieties and all different twists on the fruit. No idea there were so many. He'd sit there w/ his ancient pocket knife and carve up samples & make recommendations based on your preferences.

The one he sold me on was "Hoople's Antique Gold." I guess would fit closest to the "green" category above. The selling point is that it has a thin but slightly rough skin on the outside "like a cat's tongue" he said. Great crunch. #1 best apple for eating. Better than all your Pink Ladies, Fujis, Honeycrisps, etc.

Speaking of which there are some of those newly popular apples that seem to be somewhere in the middle where I couldn't call them red and I couldn't call them green since as a whole they seem to arrive at the market at 50/50 ratio. Those are usually pretty good too.

Also, did you know if you plant a tree from a seed off an apple you loved hoping to get those apples, you are highly UNLIKELY to get those apples? No you will probably get some barely edible bullshit instead. You actually have to take grafts off living trees that are producing the apples you like. A lot of folks are reading that and saying "well yeah duh" but there are others that are going to be as amazed by that as I was when I first heard it some 20 years ago. Grafting is an amazing process that you can rabbit hole down for a long time. Supposedly you can graft many many kinds of different fruit from one main tree as long as they're overall part of the same family like pears and apples. I've always threatened to try this w/ the apple trees in my back yard but its' a lot of work just keeping them pruned and sprayed so you don't get wormy little bastards.

IDK, I like all of them except that one red one? Red Delicious I think? Pretty well-known comedy bit about how bad that name is since it's hardly delicious.

Not crap.