Sludgy Shoegaze Thunderdome; Nothing vs Spotlights

Nothing
Total votes: 3 (43%)
Spotlights
Total votes: 4 (57%)
Total votes: 7

Re: Sludgy Shoegaze Thunderdome; Nothing vs Spotlights

Krev wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:16 am I played a show with Nothing back in the day. The music wasn't bad, but their whole vibe was meathead hardcores bros gone pretentious.
Voting Nothing for purposes of this poll, but, yeah, that whole bro aesthetic grinds my gears. Their music sure can get pretty, though, and that's why I've casted my vote. Cloakroom should be an option, but if memory serves Nothing absorbed one of their members.

There used to be an instrumental band called Adorn that wasn't sludgy but had a thrashy vibe not unlike Deafheaven, I guess, but again without the screeching vocals. Super dreamy and soaring.

Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

I don't know the band Nothing, but I really like Spotlights. I would start with We are All Atomic - that was the one that hooked me in. The last 2 albums, Love & Decay and Alchemy for the Dead, are also great. The records are well recorded. They are from Brooklyn, of course.

Will be checking out Nothing.

Edit: I checked out Nothing.

I like them, but they don't really do the same thing Spotlights does.
Nothing reminds me more of 90s alt/indie rock, like Hum, Bitch Magnet.

I really enjoy Spotlights. A very different band to Nothing but I see the connection.

Spotlights hit lots of thing is like. It is very confected and very polished but great tunes.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:33 am Both come off as The Angelic Process minus the intent, to my ears anyway. Would probably plump for Nothing if only because I enjoyed some of their collab with Full of Hell.
Yikes. I checked out The Angelic Process. Great band. But then started reading about them… everyone is dead. 😬
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.