Jefferson Airplane

Not crap
Total votes: 7 (64%)
Crap
Total votes: 4 (36%)
Total votes: 11

Jefferson Airplane

Growing up I always ignored this band because they seemed like a cheesy, dated commercial hippie band. But if you spend time with their Sixties albums you might become a fan like I did. Jorma Kaukonen was a fantastic guitarist. They incorporated Eastern music and mixed rockers with softer acoustic stuff. If you like Can, Love or Hendrix you might like this stuff. Unlike the Dead, they *rocked*.

After Bathing at Baxter's is my favorite of theirs.

The abomination that was Jefferson Starship isn't part of this poll.

Re: Jefferson Airplane

The recorded content was something of a mixed bag, but easily a great band. Some heavy tunes, and Grace Slick was an awesome frontman.

Do not get enough credit for being sort of the dark side of the SF movement...really sort of a violent, anti-authoritarian unreconciliatory nihilist vibe, Not exactly flower power:
All your private property is
Target for your enemy
And your enemy is we

We are forces of chaos and anarchy
Everything they say we are, we are
And we are very proud of ourselves

Up against the wall
Up against the wall, motherfuckers!

This is their proto-doom banger....

The Great Society, the band the preceded JA did one live record that I know of, though I've heard tell there is a second. That record is pretty good and has the first recorded versions of "Somebody To Love", and "White Rabbit" that I'm aware of.

I blow hot and cold on the JA catalog, as there's other stuff from that time and place I listen to much more often.

jfv wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:15 am NC for Surrealistic Pillow alone.

Also, kudos for changing the name of the band when they started to suck. Makes this an easier decision.

NC
They actually had a bit of a John Cougar thing going for a while because there was Jefferson Starship, Paul Kantner and Jefferson Starship, and ultimately Starship. i may have missed a few, and I know there was at least one reunion under their original name. They all dependably suck however.