Built to Spill

Not crap
Total votes: 14 (78%)
Crap
Total votes: 4 (22%)
Total votes: 18

Re: Built to Spill

One of my least favourite bands of all time; they collect so many factors that actively annoy me (Crazy Horse style slop-rock, 'clever' lyrics, late 90s bobo irony, meandering jams based on a lazy 'vibe' that get nowhere near anything approaching musical transcendence) that it's almost impossible for me to get through a track. I've given albums 2 and 3 a fair number of chances over the years.

That's on me rather than them, though - at this point in my life I'm able to distinguish between 'crap' and 'totally not my thing at all'. BtS are the latter.

Thus - no vote.

rsmurphy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:56 am Saw them live once and got bored, but their records are solid and memorable. Super fans are a bit trying but whose super fans aren't?

NC
Agreed that they could be dull live. The best show I saw ‘em do was when the rhythm section was Red Stars Theory, plus a cellist, at the Croc in Seattle. Halo Benders, on the other hand, absolutely ruled live.

I’ve always loved Scott Plouf’s drumming, dating back to The Spinnanes.

When I listen to 'Perfect From Now On' or 'Keep It Like a Secret' I cannot understand how something so exciting, vital and huge sounding becomes the dull live experience others have mentioned. But I've seen it. I left early.

Aside from the aforementioned classics which earn an easy A from me they've hidden a few solid B+ efforts throughout their more recent discography.

Doug is something of a low key guitar hero which could explain the split vote here on the PRF, but I dig it. NC

I've never been a fan, but I don't think they are crap. Don't really like the nasally high vocals. For reasons I don't remember, I checked out You in Reverse years ago and I liked a few songs it. But I don't have a desire to go through their other albums.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

penningtron wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:17 am Musically it's more beige than a lot of their contemporaries (Pavement, Modest Mouse, etc.) and I really can't stand his double tracked vocals. I won't run out the room when they come on, but Crap.
Yeah pretty much same thoughts here. My wife likes them so I've spent a decent chunk of time listening to various albums but I've never cared for them. I don't think they're crap necessarily, just not my thing.

Years back we went to see them and they played a surprise set consisting solely of covers. A lot of fans looked a bit pissed but they played some Devo, Dinosaur, Beefheart, New Order, etc... I enjoyed it much more than if they'd played their own music.

I have a much higher tolerance for BTS than I do Modest Mouse, fwiw.