City: London

Crap
Total votes: 5 (22%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 18 (78%)
Total votes: 23

City: London

In my traveling days I found myself in London more than once. You hear the names of the world's great cities: New York, Tokyo, Paris etc. Many of them hit you like a ton of bricks. As I walked around London gazing at the winding streets and three story buildings, I suddenly thought "This looks like Brooklyn.... if it were much older."

There is the undeniable history and unique cultural sensibilities. Without a doubt a city of that scale holds many hidden treasures the average visitor knows nothing of. I've never known where I stand with London.

Brits, I'm from Denver, Colorado. Not a towering metropolis, so I'm not taking the piss here. More like I want to hear how fellow travelers and UK locals feel about the place.

Re: City: London

Not crap. I’ve lived here 19 of the past 23 years and am not likely to leave other than to sit in the sun somewhere.

I could wax lyrical but this city has given me a lot.

The important thing to understand about London is that other than The City of London, it’s a collection of villages that have been absorbed into the city over a thousand years. So lots of different vibes, even turning a street corner.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Hard to vote as really, I've only spent one very long day there in 2005. Which is unusual, despite all the traveling I've done.

But it was cool. Did some basic sightseeing, hit a few shops and bought a record, ate really good fish and chips w/a pint of bitter from a Greek-run place. Not a bad time at all. Superficial not crap.

I've been in the city twice for business trips (have been in and around LHR several dozen other times, but obviously that doesn't count). Have only seen a fraction of what there is to see, but based on what I saw, the food/drinks available, and how easy it is to get around without a car, I will give it a solid NC.

I'm highly unlikely to vote CRAP on big cities (particularly ones outside of the USA) as most of them share these traits. Almost feel like this would be better suited as a RANK against other big cities.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Born 'n bred here.

Manageable if you can pay to play and you live and work in your tribe's bubble.

Otherwise it's a brutal, heartless place. Obscenely overpriced (esp housing, which is becoming a real source of tension) and overcrowded (though not quite as bad since WFH became a thing).

Zones 1 and 2 are almost purged by gentrification post-COVID which is interesting but it comes at the expense of another venue or another independent business etc.

Aware that my view suffers from "London is yours for 10 years; then it is not"-itis. But it's a sad and threadbare place compared to its prime (late 90s thru mid 00s).

Crap