Mick Harvey's Serge Gainsbourg albums

Bon
Total votes: 3 (75%)
Merde
Total votes: 1 (25%)
Total votes: 4

Re: Mick Harvey's Serge Gainsbourg albums

Love Serge, love Mick…..nothing special at all. Don’t remember thinking understanding the lyrics did much to elucidate the songs, either. I also own the Tzadik tribute record, with some extreme interpretations. Also, not bad, but you’re better off with just listening to the originals.

Don’t expect anything on the level of Scott Walker Jacques Brel interpretations.

zorg wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:07 pm Love Serge, love Mick…..nothing special at all. Don’t remember thinking understanding the lyrics did much to elucidate the songs, either. I also own the Tzadik tribute record, with some extreme interpretations. Also, not bad, but you’re better off with just listening to the originals.

Don’t expect anything on the level of Scott Walker Jacques Brel interpretations.
Alex Harvey's interpretation of "Next" is the best.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

I'm really only familiar with the first two, which I both really like. I also think Harvey deserves some credit for igniting people's interest in Gainsbourg in the English-speaking world. That stuff was really hard to find, at least in the US, before the first Harvey record came out. Around a year after Intoxicated Man came out Mercury put out three compilations and the floodgates opened from there.

Clyde wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:42 am I'm really only familiar with the first two, which I both really like. I also think Harvey deserves some credit for igniting people's interest in Gainsbourg in the English-speaking world. That stuff was really hard to find, at least in the US, before the first Harvey record came out. Around a year after Intoxicated Man came out Mercury put out three compilations and the floodgates opened from there.
Valid point, I didn't realize that Intoxicated Man was that old.