Cop (1984)
Total votes: 1 (8%)
Greed (1986) (No votes)
Holy Money (1986)
Children of God (1987)
The Burning World (1989) (No votes)
White Light from the Mouth of Infinity (1991)
Love of Life (1992) (No votes)
The Great Annihilator (1995) (No votes)
Soundtracks for the Blind (1996)
Total votes: 5 (38%)
Total votes: 13

Re: Favorite Swans album (first tenure)

Oh, man. Tough.

Gonna go w/Cop, especially the original CD pressing w/the Raping a Slave EP tacked on. Slow, pummeling perfection. That drum sound, damn.

Filth is a really close second. It has the same heaviness but moves a whole lot more. W/that double rhythm section and all. Almost a tossup, but Cop has better production and it seems a little more deliberate and fully realized.

Yeah, that is a pretty straightforward kerble. I'll use this space to mention that I saw Swans live in 2023 for the first time, and am kicking myself for sleeping on this band for so long. I owned Cop/Greed/Holy Money in the 90's, at a time when they could have been their biggest, but they were instead at their low ebb, and somehow I thought they were still doing like gothy Jarboe "Burning World" stuff. I also slept through the Pitchfork revivalism, until finally actually sampling their reunion records and was agog. The new material is pretty uniformly fantastic, the newest iteration might even be my favorite, and that show was just great. Also met Michael, who is very gracious with his fans. Top band.

zorg wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:16 am Yeah, that is a pretty straightforward kerble. I'll use this space to mention that I saw Swans live in 2023 for the first time, and am kicking myself for sleeping on this band for so long. I owned Cop/Greed/Holy Money in the 90's, at a time when they could have been their biggest, but they were instead at their low ebb, and somehow I thought they were still doing like gothy Jarboe "Burning World" stuff. I also slept through the Pitchfork revivalism, until finally actually sampling their reunion records and was agog. The new material is pretty uniformly fantastic, the newest iteration might even be my favorite, and that show was just great. Also met Michael, who is very gracious with his fans. Top band.
I happened to be on vacation in Zagreb last November when they were there. I talked to Chris the bass player in the large foyer of the venue before the show, mainly about how our ancestors are from near there (my grandma was born in Samobor). Then when Michael introduced the band in the middle of the show, he rolled the r in Pravdica in a dramatic way and proceeded to jazz him about Chris being one of you (the audience) and that his ancestors were mountain people. lol