Sam Harris

Waking up
Total votes: 2 (17%)
Not Making Sense
Total votes: 10 (83%)
Total votes: 12

Public figure - Sam Harris

Sam Harris is a person whose content I’ve dipped in and out of over the years. Initially back in the early 2000s I read End of Faith and got on the so called New Atheist train but lost interest with shooting fish in a barrel.

For a long time he unfortunately got lumped in with a bunch of rightwing ghouls but over the past few years has publicly disowned idiots like Ben Shapiro et al and got off Twitter.

For a decent period now my consumption has been exclusively his meditation app Waking Up which is extremely good, easily the best resource for what could broadly be called Buddhist derived philosophy and self discovery.

Here’s where the contradictions start. If you interact with his content and curation via Waking Up you find a very compassionate, articulate guy that has incredibly insightful conversations with some of the most interesting people in that world… rock over to his Making Sense podcast and there’s still the tail of his worse impulses in the 2010s. The contrast is pretty startling on the surface.

But after spending a decent amount of time with his philosophical positions some of his remaining extreme views on Abrahamic religions makes sense but it still feels like the guy spends too much time arguing with people on the margins.

For me a caveated Not Crap for the work and positions he expresses on Waking Up, but he makes it really difficult with content on Making Sense…
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Re: Public figure - Sam Harris

That’s the weird part. Unless you see his Waking Up content which has long conversations with people like Joseph’ Goldstein there’s a lot of his platforming shitty ideas. He also openly refers to himself as on the left, supported Biden and hates Trump…

But he really doesn’t respond well to criticism and often seemed to double down when pushed.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:04 pm It would take a sight more than any number of conversations to flip his charge sheet. Proper wrong 'un. Pretty sharp attempt at PR rehab mind, getting into the meditation app sphere. Makes him even worse somehow.
Yeah that page is pretty unpleasant. There’s a few ropey connections there and the app is very much not McMindfullness or does he make any claims on there about meditation I’d consider weird. In fact quite the opposite. There is zero crossover with his Making Sense side, which makes it all even stranger. The Waking Up interviews and conversations are exclusively people you’d regard as liberals and progressives if there’s any political content at all… He never discusses controversial topics and often will chat for an hour on very liberal positions… including disowning large tracts of his 2010s / IDW stuff… he should probably do this publicly rather than behind an app paywall.

… just for the record Apple screwed up the sub on Waking Up and I seem to have never paid 😂

Khama?