Genre: backpack rap

A. Not a thing
Total votes: 2 (50%)
B. A terrible thing
Total votes: 2 (50%)
C. A wonderful thing (No votes)
Total votes: 4

Genre: Backpack Hip Hop

This genre, like any, doesn't really exist. This is just something people started saying in the late 90's, early 00's. As with emo in the 80's it's a dismissive term used to describe some music I actually like. It's also been called "conscious rap", or "alternative hip hop. I'm curious if any hip hop fans here think that a. the term is of any use, and separately b. if some of the music it describes is any good.

Here are some of my arguments for:
It's potentially a less corporate, and definitely a less consumer driven image of hip hop. There is romance to a 1996 MC who lives in Brooklyn toting a backpack full of lyrics, novels, poetry books and philosophy. The kind of curious person who posts up at a coffee shop and consume massive amounts of language and caffeine in the service of inspiration and art. Some sterling examples of this supposed sub-genre: The Roots, Pharcyde, Common, Blackalicious, Dilated Peoples, Black Star (Mos Def and Talib Kwali), Tribe Called Quest and maybe some of their more jazz oriented forefathers like Digable Planets who retrospectively are a little corny (but charming). There were only about a million lesser known contributors to this scene, many in Minneapolis and other less typically hip hop cities.

Arguments against:
Macklemore. White college kids consuming music that features a more sanitized vision of black culture (this is a minefield of a discussion). A higher percentage of goofy, or even pretentious MCs.

Re: Genre: Backpack Hip Hop

I thought backpack rappers referred more to the late 90s / early 2000s indie artists like the entire Def Jux roster, Slug/Atmosphere, some of Stones Throw, even occasionally encompassing weirdos like Ill Bill, RA the Rugged Man, etc. I always heard the term used as a put-down.

Crap as applied to the above-named artists, but not crap as applied to the hordes of mostly-white imitators of those artists.

brephophagist wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:06 pm I thought backpack rappers referred more to the late 90s / early 2000s indie artists like the entire Def Jux roster, Slug/Atmosphere,
Yeah, that shit is pretty dorky.
Geiginni wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:30 pm I was hoping for a moment that there were guys rapping about mountain goats and marmots, glaciated granite and andesite, freeze-dried food and sleeping under the stars.
Damn, someone has to make an outdoorsy, geology rap project. Just samples of wind and boulders rolling.

Geiginni wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:30 pm I was hoping for a moment that there were guys rapping about mountain goats and marmots, glaciated granite and andesite, freeze-dried food and sleeping under the stars.
When I briefly listened to a lot of Anticon and fantasised about becoming a backpack rapper I would rap "high on a hill lived a lonely goatherd, yo-duh-lay-yo-duh-lay-yo-da-lay-hee-hoo" to myself all the time for laughs.

Exactly this.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

losthighway wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:48 pm This genre, like any, doesn't really exist. This is just something people started saying in the late 90's, early 00's. As with emo in the 80's it's a dismissive term used to describe some music I actually like. It's also been called "conscious rap", or "alternative hip hop. I'm curious if any hip hop fans here think that a. the term is of any use, and separately b. if some of the music it describes is any good.

Here are some of my arguments for:
It's potentially a less corporate, and definitely a less consumer driven image of hip hop. There is romance to a 1996 MC who lives in Brooklyn toting a backpack full of lyrics, novels, poetry books and philosophy. The kind of curious person who posts up at a coffee shop and consume massive amounts of language and caffeine in the service of inspiration and art. Some sterling examples of this supposed sub-genre: The Roots, Pharcyde, Common, Blackalicious, Dilated Peoples, Black Star (Mos Def and Talib Kwali), Tribe Called Quest and maybe some of their more jazz oriented forefathers like Digable Planets who retrospectively are a little corny (but charming). There were only about a million lesser known contributors to this scene, many in Minneapolis and other less typically hip hop cities.

Arguments against:
Macklemore. White college kids consuming music that features a more sanitized vision of black culture (this is a minefield of a discussion). A higher percentage of goofy, or even pretentious MCs.
"Conscious," "sanitized, "curious." LOLZ. Fuckinell. This whole post is a minefield, and you don't seem to know where you've left them.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale