Duke Ellington

Crap (No votes)
Not crap
Total votes: 16 (100%)
Total votes: 16

Re: Duke Ellington

I read a biography on him that helped me. He was long under the "I respect but don't particularly enjoy" category for me. The trick that helped me enjoy his stuff more was listening for how he stacks parts for different instruments with attention to their texture and combined timbre. No where did he do this better than what is referred to as The Blanton Webster Band. That era has plenty of collections so you can soak it up.

There are also some fantastic moments in his later Far East Suite. The train ride through Asia seemed to do wonderful things to his compositional imagination.

Last edited by losthighway on Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This NIU alum first knew of him because of the ballroom on campus named after him. Jazzers on my dorm room floor introduced me to his music. Still don't really know a ton about him but know enough to say he's NC.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

losthighway wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:11 pm I read a biography on him that helped me. He was long under the "I respect but don't particularly enjoy" category for me. The trick that helped me enjoy his stuff more was listening for how he stacks parts for different instruments with attention to their texture and combined timbre. No where did he do this better than what is referred to as The Blanton Webster Band. That era has plenty of collections so you can soak it up.
Was it the Terry Teachout bio, by chance? Because I just finished it myself.

The Teachout book ends with a list of fifty key Ellington releases (by date and label). I started going through them in order, even though I already knew and loved several of them. And while advancements in recording technology certainly play a role in the vibrancy of those 1940-ish sides, there’s also a great leap forward in compositional richness, arrangement, and performance that happens in that Blanton-Webster era.