Yay?

Crap (No votes)
Not Crap
Total votes: 12 (100%)
Total votes: 12

Re: Guitarist: Marc Ribot

A melange of so many styles. He most definitely is a jazz/improvisational player. Not crap on so many levels.

[media]<iframe style="border: 0; width: 350px; height: 470px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/alb ... rent=true/" seamless><a href=" Unity by Marc Ribot</a></iframe>[/media]

<iframe style="border: 0; width: 350px; height: 470px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/alb ... rent=true/" seamless><a href=" Of Resistance 1942 - 2018 by Marc Ribot</a></iframe>

my favourites for the last few years.
"More open-minded than Catholics".

andyman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:56 am So I always (falsely) assumed this guy was experimental jazz or something, but I randomly started listening to this and it's crazy good - like Rowland S Howard crossed with Tom Waits or something:

Anyone have any recommendations?
He plays on a bunch of Tom Waits, as I’m sure you know. I’m curious for recommendations too, as I’ve always loved his playing.

I met a guy a few years back who worked with visiting artists at the Old Town School's venue. I asked him if he had any good stories. He told me that when Marc Ribot played (a show I saw) he had one strict instruction for him: "I will take a nap for an hour or so before I play, and I want you to wake me up exactly when I'm supposed to go on, not a minute before. Ideally I won't know if I'm really awake for a song or two."

Not crap

He seems to be at the Big Ears fest in Knoxville every year, doing multiple performances with others. Two years ago I saw him do an improv thing there with a drummer whose name I forget, it was alright. This year he's bringing Ceramic Dog, he'll perform in Evan Lurie's quintet, and is doing a trio thing with John Medeski and Joe Russo. Hope I can catch all of them.

He was interviewed on Marc Maron's WTF a few months ago, seemed like a cool guy.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

Wood Goblin wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:14 am
andyman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:56 am So I always (falsely) assumed this guy was experimental jazz or something, but I randomly started listening to this and it's crazy good - like Rowland S Howard crossed with Tom Waits or something:

Anyone have any recommendations?
He plays on a bunch of Tom Waits, as I’m sure you know. I’m curious for recommendations too, as I’ve always loved his playing.
Richard Buckner/Devotion + Doubt

He is a 'Guest..." musician on it. Same goes for Joey/John from Calexico.

To me?

It is a record that everyone should own.