Albert Ayler

Crap (No votes)
Not Crap
Total votes: 13 (100%)
Total votes: 13

Re: Albert Ayler

M.H wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:15 pm Vanguardista extraordinaire or charlatan?
is there really a difference? Not if you ask Winton Marsalis. Been spending some evenings with his playing. First time in a long while. Really enjoying it. Much more than I did in my twenties.

NOT CRAP
"More open-minded than Catholics".

Not crap X 10000.

Charlatan, wild. I assume that's because of New Grass?

Even when he tried to play it straight he was still unable to contain himself. Listened to a whole lot of his music the last couple years.

Resonates deeply.

Isaac wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:21 am Charlatan, wild. I assume that's because of New Grass?

A little hyperbole to spark conversation...

But I was thinking about Free Jazz (the genre) for the first time in many years last night, playing a few songs, etc

Struck me he's a poor fit in the spiritually minded, transcendental side (yes, the record is called Spiritual Unity, but I think the musicianship / atmosphere is not up to par w/ the classics), but also he's not aggressive / obnoxious enough to fit in well w/ the assault-the-bourgeoisie/whitey-with-cacophony side either.

Was left thinking, pioneer or no, was he actually any good?

New Grass kinda sucks. Could care less about purity test / sell-out controversy. I just think it's a lame record.

(Sound of a can of worms opening)

M.H wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:41 am New Grass kinda sucks.
It totally sucks and I love it. Can't play straight r&b to save their lives. That might be my number one album that everybody hates that I love.

Anyway, if I knew ahead of time that my last day living was going to be my last day, I'd want to be woken up to "Holy Family".

NOOOOT CRAP

In what feels like ages ago a former FM gifted a mixtape comprised of punk like Fatal Microbes, Germs, and sundry others. On the flip side was Music Is the Healing Force of the Universe. It touched me so that I bought an OG Impulse! copy. Mary Park's vocals are a wondrous thing.

Not Crap
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell