Fantastic Planet

Fantastic
Total votes: 8 (80%)
Planet
Total votes: 2 (20%)
Total votes: 10

Album Fantastic Planet | Failure

This seems like one of those weird anomalies. Most of their catalog is perfectly good alt rock, but IMO this is one of the standout albums of the 90s. Great songs, beautifully recorded. I’ve just been listening to the vinyl and it’s so well detailed, massive but natural sounding.

It has a bunch of strange “love songs to heroin” probably with lyrics by Greg Edwards… The drummer is massively overlooked.

Heliotropic Is my favourite song.

In isolation. Not crap
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

Re: Album Fantastic Planet | Failure

I spent about 8 months nursing a full time opioid addiction in a state of little distress or degradation and this record (particularly 'Another Space Song') was the perfect accompaniment to my civilised self-destruction, esp played VERY LOUD through headphones as I too familiarised myself with the rug's topography... not one I go back to often (no drugs for approaching 10yrs) but it's very evocative... a blank lushness, a velvet nothing...

You do need to get over the Nirvana-isms songwriting/ singing-wise but it's a masterpiece sonically, Magnified has some few great jams and I really dug the first reunion album also.

N.C

I like it alright, but not a a lost classic or anything. Never thought it had anything to do with nu-metal, but turned it on just now based on that comment, and understand the comparison. More like shiny-grunge. They were Tool compatriots, and I think one of the guys played in Perfect Circle, so there were only so far off from an OzzFest appearance.

penningtron wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:24 am In hindsight it does kind of sound like an art school version of Staind.
I initially raised an eyebrow here, but you are correct that if you take 'It's Been a While', added a phaser to the verses and made the vocals a bit more mumbled and esoteric lyrically (but not by that much) it does indeed fit the Fantastic Planet formula.

(Tips hat)