FUCK
Total votes: 13 (72%)
SHIT
Total votes: 1 (6%)
OTHER
Total votes: 2 (11%)
Total votes: 18

Curse-word-dome: ass vs. fuck vs. shit

Was inspired by FM Gramsci's comment about my use of the word "ass".

I have for a long time been under the impression that "fuck" is the most versatile word in the English language.

But I have realized that I use "ass" way more often, and in many different ways.

I'm going with "ass" here.

NOTE: am willing to hear arguments on whether "ass" and "arse" should or should not be considered together

EDIT: topic title changed for clarity

EDIT #2: added "shit"

EDIT #3: added "Other"
Last edited by jfv on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Re: Colorful metaphor dome: ass vs. fuck

To say that "The Final Countdown" is "ass" is fine.

But for me, "cheese" is the first word that comes to mind. I guess those could mean the same thing, though.

"Hammy" is another descriptor the song evokes. And you could say this cover of the song is notably "ham-fisted."

So throw in a couple of slices of bread and you've got yourself a sandwich . . . one that sounds less appealing in this context.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

Oh my god, I’m the king of Fuck.

It’s just about my default word. Of course not in professional spaces or polite company but as a proud New Zealander I tend to swear at lot. It’s my national right god dammit.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

DaveA wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:00 pm To say that "The Final Countdown" is "ass" is fine.

But for me, "cheese" is the first word that comes to mind. I guess those could mean the same thing, though.

"Hammy" is another descriptor the song evokes. And you could say this cover of the song is notably "ham-fisted."

So throw in a couple of slices of bread and you've got yourself a sandwich . . . one that sounds less appealing in this context.
Just to be clear, was referring to the general use of the two words in the subject. Was not intending to refer to them within the context of the discussion about "The Final Countdown". Point taken, though.

It's also possible that your post was a joke that sailed way over my dense ass.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

One thing that ass has going for it is the freedom to use it as an adverb. “Ridiculous-ass TikTok ban”, e.g.

One thing that always stood out about Lewis Black to me was his attempt to make fuck work the same way (“it’s a big fuck difference”). He just barely squeaks by with it because of his whole “imminent aneurysm” comedy persona.

Despite this: I chose fuck.