Feeb-Rock Thunderdome: Pavement vs Sebadoh

Pavement
Total votes: 15 (50%)
Sebadoh
Total votes: 15 (50%)
Total votes: 30

Feeb-Rock Thunderdome: Pavement vs Sebadoh

For those not in the know, Joe Carducci used this neologism when referring to the more sensitive indie rock set; is not intended as a pejorative term.

Been on a little bit of a nostalgia trip and going back to that period where bands coming out of the post-hardcore underground embraced singer / songwriter tropes - lots of influences and approaches that would eventually settle into the parameters of USA 'Indie' as a genre by the mid-to-late 90s. Pound for pound I think these 2 bands had the more interesting range of approaches w/ a good sprinkling of emotionally devastating songs.

But who will win in a passive aggressive showdown; jumpers torn, glasses askew, murmuring the name of that girl who works in the library like a mantra...

(Myself: I like Sebadoh's near schizophrenic mood being during the Gaffney-era and think the 'serious songs' in their more 'professional' era are heartbreakers; I just never liked Pavement much outside of Crooked Rain..., still think Slanted... is very overrated...)

Re: Feeb-Rock Thunderdome: Pavement vs Sebadoh

Bakesale is a soup-to-nuts banger, and I like a lot of their stuff from their post-2010 output.

I have zero time for Pavement. I enjoyed them when I was younger and just getting into “indie rock” but over time I heavily soured on them as being the most boring version of it. Yo La Tengo was more fun and experimental, Silkworm had far better songs and guitar solos, Sebadoh sounded more intense and angular.

Pavement, comparatively, is high-grade melatonin to me. I’ll give ‘em “Stereo” and “Embassy Row,” and other than that, CRAP.
Formerly FM kazoozak. Guy in Fake Canadian.

Back in the day, I LOVED Pavement, liked Sebadoh.

Both bands have lost a bit of luster for me now that I'm older, but some Pavement material (particularly the early stuff) does still scratch an itch that few others can. I could be in the shittiest mood, hear "Trigger Cut" or "Grave Architecture", and immediately be happier.

I can't say the same about Sebadoh.

Pavement.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

penningtron wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:01 pm Sebadoh never clicked for me. Seems like a hodgepodge of very different songwriters. I don't listen to Pavement very often but still think most of it up through about Wowee Zowee is pretty good, sometimes great. Watery Domestic is the sweet spot.

Pavement.
Agree with this. I like “The Ocean” a lot, but Sebadoh otherwise also hasn’t clicked. Maybe it will someday.