Director: Yorgos Lanthimos

Crap
Total votes: 5 (31%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 11 (69%)
Total votes: 16

Director: Yorgos Lanthimos

Director of Dogtooth, The Lobster, Killing of a Sacred Deer, The Favourite, Poor Things, and most recently, Kinds of Kindness. Thought I'd start a poll as he's made several films and I saw Kinds of Kindness last weekend. I'm a fan of his work, though some films are better than others. What does the PRF think?
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."

Re: Director: Yorgos Lanthimos

zircona1 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 2:42 pm Director of Dogtooth, The Lobster, Killing of a Sacred Deer, The Favourite, Poor Things, and most recently, Kinds of Kindness. Thought I'd start a poll as he's made several films and I saw Kinds of Kindness last weekend. I'm a fan of his work, though some films are better than others. What does the PRF think?
Not crap. Haven't really liked his English films. Not enough people have seen his Greek works, especially Dogtooth.

NC

Have yet to see The Favourite or Kinds of Kindness, and need a rewatch on The Lobster, but the rest - my stars - wonderful, singular, hilarious, and troubling. I find the dance sequence in Dogtooth more freaky than funny. It's right up there with the dance sequence in Calvaire in terms of being disquieting. I previously mentioned my reaction upon going in 100% blind on Poor Things. A lovely filmgoing experience. I rarely ever LOL in a theater but everyone involved in that work had me howling. My perspective on feminism also grew but that's more due to engagement with a woman who is a friend and her distaste of much of the movie. It's amazing what you think you know but really don't.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

Not Crap, although I feel the same way about The Lobster as I do about The Royal Tenenbaums - sensational new director attracts attention and everybody wants to jump on board with their next project. It would have been better served with fewer well-known actors involved. Tenenbaums is a steaming pile of shit for that reason, but Lobster was at least somewhat interesting despite falling emotionally flat for me.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."