Total votes: 71 (85%)
Crap
Total votes: 13 (15%)
Total votes: 84

Director-Writer - David Lynch

lost highway -- crap
mulholland drive -- some funny parts but crap
blue velvet -- creepy, but overrated
eraserhead -- i saw the first 20 min of this when i was eight and now i'm scarred for life

haven't seen the rest

i'm sick of EVERYONE being like "wow it's weird out tonight. like a DAVID LYNCH MOVIE." everything weird is compared to david lynch, he is the mainstream figurehead of weird, and i, as someone who takes weirdness very seriously, do not want such an important thing represented by the douchiness of david lynch.

david lynch = tits + violence + some nightmare imagery + plus noir music + bad acting (possibly intentional, still lame) + loopy "it's all a dream" plots with cleverly chameleonlike plotholes for people to ponder = CRAP

there's nothing weird about tits, violence, noir music and bad acting.

trilonaut wrote:
there's nothing weird about tits

I used to think breasts that were different size from the other were weird.
Like left big and pointy and right little and looking off to the far right.
Now, being a grown ass man, i have come to the conclusion that all breasta-sess are beautiful. even if they do not match their respective sister.

What about Crumb? he directed that.
Twin peaks- movie(s) 2 / tv show 1st season?

Not Crap. he doesn't cook in his house either, Says he doesn't like the smell the day after. Thats weird.
ChoCko is back in town!

I'll say not crap, I've liked almost everything I've seen by him, though I also didn't like "Lost Highway". It seemed too self-consciously weird and goth-y, and not that his other ones don't demonstrate any calculation on his part, it just seemed really contrived to me, and it just wasn't executed well.

Bill Pullman as a tortured free-jazz sax player? Bill Pullman?

Early works are creepy and symbolic as all hell.

Mulholland Drive is great.

Lost Highway is good.

Blue Velvet, for unknown reasons, put me to sleep. Or at least was playing while I fell asleep. But then I woke up and watched the rest and thought it was pretty good.

Twin Peaks Season 1 is fucking fantastic. Fucking super fantastic. Could watch it over and over.

Painter-turned-filmmaker. (I once heard a rumour that even aspiring journalists can become successful recording engineers.)

No way crap.

I agree wholeheatedly with Trilonaut - I fail to grasp what everbody sees in Lynch. It especially baffles me to see so many people who are into genuine weirdness go apeshit about movies like "Blue Velvet," which was not that weird, I mean a severed ear and Dennis Hopper drinking PBR and popping amyls- this shit most likely mirrors the Dennis Hopper reality, I mean who says he's even acting here?

"Lost HIghways" is even more questionable in terms of real vs. contrived weirdness value for all the reasons Mr. T concisely spelled out above.
The main impact of this film, in my view, was that it singlehandedly broke Rammstein in the States, thus helping to bring homoerotic German industrial music to the jocks (who undoubtedly never caught on to Einsturzende Neubauten).

I couldn't care less about "weirdness," and David Lynch is one of my favorite directors. Eraserhead may be a top 5 movie for me, and I like every movie of his that I've seen (i.e. all of his movies except for Dune, which, being fantastical sci-fi, is inherently lame and could not be saved by anyone - no, not even Jodorowsky).

I do not often admit to liking David Lynch's movies in mixed company, because I really, really hate most fans of his work. I hate them. David Lynch is NOT CRAP, though. I'm tempted to give him a waffle factor for Dune, but he gets a pass.

I should hate this guy, because I can recognize so much of what he does as utter contrivance, but I guess something else transcends the contrivance for me.
Last edited by placeholder_Archive on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
matthew wrote:His Life and his Death gives us LIFE.......supernatural life- which is His own life because he is God and Man. This is all straight Catholicism....no nuttiness or mystical crap here.