Pavement

CRAP
Total votes: 31 (19%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 136 (81%)
Total votes: 167

Band: Pavement

to quote bevis: 'these guys need to try harder. they need to just start over, and like, try this time..., ...let's go get some nachos.' there is some talk of the jesus lizard and dirty bathtubs in there somewhere too, inbetween the elipsis'. god bless mike judge. wait, fuck king of the hill though. that show sucked more than the family guy.

i've never understood why these guys are revered the way they are. i have friends who swear by this band, so i've been subjected to their records over and over and over. they've written a handful of good songs to be sure, but i think they're grossly overrated, and most of their material just kinda reeks of "look how CLEVER we are!" or "look! look! we like the fall!". and i guess this doesn't matter much, but their cover art always annoys me as well.

CRAP. i don't exactly hate them, but given the choice, i'd rather listen to something else.

Pavement is TOTALLY not crap. Whether you like 'em or not, they do a lot of neato stuff. Interesting textures. Pop sensibility (what is that, anyways?)
ha.

But seriously, those songs helped me somehow (to keep me focused or take my mind off shit, or something) when I was going through a rough time a few years ago.

Plus, I get together with cute girlies every so often to watch their DVD. THAT is reason for kudos in and of itself...
Carl Kunz

http://www.theslackharmonic.com

A high waffle factor since their early stuff seems to timeless and the later so substandard, but I ended up on the side of CRAP.

I irrationally disliked them for a long time because of punk rock stupidity, then I rationally liked them for their interesting songs, then I irrationally disliked them for what they had spawned, then I rationally disliked them for not packing it in earlier.

So CRAP, but very important CRAP, and easilly changeable if they had broken up after... saw Wowee Zowee.

-C.

same wrote:to quote bevis: 'these guys need to try harder. they need to just start over, and like, try this time..., ...let's go get some nachos.' there is some talk of the jesus lizard and dirty bathtubs in there somewhere too, inbetween the elipsis'. god bless mike judge. wait, fuck king of the hill though. that show sucked more than the family guy.

How can you say that The Family Guy sucked? Anyways, Crooked Rain gets the two disc treatment in late September/early October. Supposedly, there is a whole record's worth of stuff that we've "never heard." They said that about Slanted and it amounted to maybe three songs on there that were new to me and that includes the alternate version of Here. Whatever, they got my $20 in the coming weeks.
A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." - Jack Handy

placeholder wrote:i've never understood why these guys are revered the way they are. i have friends who swear by this band, so i've been subjected to their records over and over and over. they've written a handful of good songs to be sure, but i think they're grossly overrated, and most of their material just kinda reeks of "look how CLEVER we are!" or "look! look! we like the fall!". and i guess this doesn't matter much, but their cover art always annoys me as well.

CRAP. i don't exactly hate them, but given the choice, i'd rather listen to something else.

Seconded. Except I think it's less than a handful. Two fingers?

Dylan wrote:Seconded. Except I think it's less than a handful. Two fingers?

That's actually closer to the truth. Guess I was feeling overly judicious that day, since I can't name any Pavement songs I like off the top of my head. I do like The Wedding Present's version of "Box Elder" though.

Also, I recently picked up that Matador compilation DVD, and the two Pavement videos on it are incredibly irritating, just like the songs they're for ("Range Life" and "Cut Your Hair"). I forgot to mention that earlier.

Pavement is my favoritest band ever. I recognize their lacklusterness and embrace them for it. Spiral's a funny unassuming dude. I named my cat Westy. I love Bob and his effort. I love S.M.'s noodling and hollering. Mark Ibold...well four outta five ain't bad.

NOT CRAP

(though they did get crappy when Steve started trying too hard)

T