The films of Atom Egoyan

crap
Total votes: 1 (100%)
not crap (No votes)
Total votes: 1

Filmmaker: Atom Egoyan

Sweet Hereafter was a lovely "snowed in"-day movie. sad, but compelling. powerfully acted.

Felicia's Journey was okay, but just okay, it didn't creep me out as much as it appeared to be trying to.

Speaking Parts was unbelieveably awful. We didn't make it a half-hour through before turning it off and I've sat through Spaced Invaders.

Exotica was kind'a heavy handed and poorly played out. The characters seemed like rough stereotypes than fleshed out ideas.

I'd love some recommendations of his better films. He seems to be capable, but often unfocused.

Faiz
kerble is right.

kerble wrote:Sweet Hereafter was a lovely "snowed in"-day movie. sad, but compelling. powerfully acted.

Felicia's Journey was okay, but just okay, it didn't creep me out as much as it appeared to be trying to.

Yup, I agree with the above. _SH_ is the only film I've seen of his that I could honestly recommend.

_Ararat_ had all the elements for a great film, but it just didn't work.

_Where the Truth Lies_ isn't bad, I thought. Great acting, some great scenes, and it's wonderfully shot -- but it falls flat. The entire premise of the film is dumb, too. My girlfriend hated it.

I want to like Atom Egoyan. I like the kind of films he wants to make, the complexity of tone, the muted affect, but he doesn't quite pull it off.

I found the SH to be really boring. That's the one about the bus accident in Canada, right?

If that's the one, I never found out what anyone sees in this guy's films. They used to play this on IFC all the time back when I had cable (before reality TV made me pull the plug in favor of Netflix -- most cable TV is shit. Look at Comedy Central -- it's the same 6 hour loop of crap and bad 80's movies, with maybe 2-3 shows worth watching that come out on DVD anyway. Not worth $60/month. "The Dog Whisperer" is probably the best thing on cable these days.)

Some of the indie "slice of life" films can be quite charming. I just couldn't get interested in the investigation of a bus accident, and all the different sides of the stories... It's long as a mofo too. It moves really slow. Hello? Editing anyone?

Then again, I never rubberneck on the freeway... Maybe it's a rubbernecker thing?

I'd rather watch Stroker Ace than this one...

He's overrated. Not crap... I won't vote on this one. Who knows, maybe he's a really handsome charismatic hipster type, so the indie film community eats his shit up... I've never seen what he looks like. That would be my best guess, because his movies are pretty boring.