Total votes: 62 (44%)
Not Crap.
Total votes: 79 (56%)
Total votes: 141

band: Soundgarden

Screaming Life/Fopp=Not Crap
Ultramega OK=Not Crap

select songs from Badmotorfinger=Not Crap

Everything else is kinda crappy. Heavy crap came later in their career though.

Those first 2 records are actually pretty bitchin/noisy records that I would still listen to if I could find them in my heap of old cassette tapes.
:spade: :spade:

Old stuff: Has it's moments, although most of it...meh.

Badmotorfinger: Not Crap, still one of my favorite records of all time.

Superknown: Crap, :WF: 1 for "4th of July" which is an amazing song.

Down on the Upside: Holy fucking crapola.

Overall: Crap :WF: 5 for Badmotorfinger.
drew patrick wrote:Peripatetic will win.

I don't care what anyone says, these guys were my FAVORITE band in high school. That would've been the Badmotorfinger - Down on the Upside days. Badmotorfinger AND Down on the Upside still see some play in my cd player. They did not age as well as Nirvana, to be sure. Soundgarden's stuff sounds a bit dated, like a 1994 time capsule. But I don't care. I like 1994.
NOT CRAP: no waffles

For a young fella making a transition from metal to more interesting stuff, they were certainly instrumental. I liked Chris Cornell's voice a lot more before he had singing lessons though. That song Heretic was good. The best thing about them later was that guy on bass. But I thought even Superunknown had some good songs: Head Down was a good song. The rockier things were just annoying. I never heard Oops Upside Your Head because I just wasn't bothered. But as an integral part of my youth, definitely Not Crap.

Chapter Two wrote:For a young fella making a transition from metal to more interesting stuff, they were certainly instrumental.

Absolutely. One of the reasons they get such an emphatic NOT CRAP from me was because i saw them open for Skid Row on the Badmotorfinger tour while Skid Row was touring for Slave to the Grind. At the time i couldn't stand Soundgarden and was only going to the concert to see Skid Row, but thought that i should buy some Soundgarden cassettes and give them a chance, because hey, if SKID ROW likes them enough to take them on tour, they must have something going on, right?

So i buy Louder Than Love and Badmotorfinger and they start to grow on me. Then i go to the concert, and Soundgarden proceeds to RIP SHIT UP. I'm completely blown away, and by the time Skid Row get on stage, i'm left feeling that they look really silly following up these grizzled Pacific-Northwestern fuzzmonsters.

Maybe i've discovered stuff since then that was 1000X better than Soundgarden, but they, along with Faith No More, They Might Be Giants, and (to a lesser degree) Nirvana, were the bands that opened my mind to the fact that yes, there IS more interesting music than hair metal. So again, NOT CRAP for all of these reasons.
http://www.ifihadahifi.net
http://www.superstarcastic.com

Marsupialized wrote:Thank you so much for the pounding, it came in handy.