Crap or Not Crap?

Crap?
Total votes: 5 (7%)
Not Crap?
Total votes: 69 (93%)
Total votes: 74

HBO Drama: The Wire

I'd say get it. It takes more than a couple of episodes to get into it. Some of the street lingo is difficult to understand (especially being a non-American as I am) so DVD with subtitles is a perfect way to see it. The way it is written means you may not get a handle on it until about four episodes in and by then you should be hooked. I've seen the first two seasons on DVD and was completely hooked by the stellar writing and ensemble cast. Season two was better I think but you have to see season one. I'm no fan of TV drama usually but The Wire was an exception. DVD is also good because you can watch the whole season over a week or less if you get as hooked as I did.

The WIRE is the best American TV series ever IMO.
NOT CRAP!

boilermaker wrote:I'd say get it. It takes more than a couple of episodes to get into it. Some of the street lingo is difficult to understand (especially being a non-American as I am) so DVD with subtitles is a perfect way to see it. The way it is written means you may not get a handle on it until about four episodes in and by then you should be hooked. I've seen the first two seasons on DVD and was completely hooked by the stellar writing and ensemble cast. Season two was better I think but you have to see season one. I'm no fan of TV drama usually but The Wire was an exception. DVD is also good because you can watch the whole season over a week or less if you get as hooked as I did.

The WIRE is the best American TV series ever IMO.
NOT CRAP!

I couldn't agree more. I think The Wire is the best show on TV. It makes Law and Order look like a Nancy Drew mystery.

I tried The Sheild too, but only got about half way through the first season. It seemed cartoonish compared to The Wire.

I am really surprised that more people don't watch it.

Good show. I've lived in B'more for 1.5 years now, in a transitional neighborhood where the HBO filming goes on from time. It's highly entertaining, if anything to see the neighborhood bar and corner store featured on the telly.

I think it also does a fair job of showing a big city police department with the politics and bureaucracy and the constant struggle of both good and bad cops between morality and corruption. It paints a very human picture of the antagonists and the protagonists. It's the anti-Spielberg approach. You watch the heroes and the villains fuck themselves up into a quagmire.

You can actually relate to the bad guys from time to time, and some of the cops are worse than the villains in the show (instead of the usual CSI/Matlock/Law&Order good guy-bad guy dichotomy). I feel sorry for those killed, but I also feel sympathy for the murderers too. This show shows that it is possible to make a tragic realistic drama out of empathy.

Much like the landscape of East Baltimore, the show is grey. It doesn't take sides. It's ambigious. I would expect most people who watch TV can't handle this approach. I'm surprised it has made it this many seasons.

Not crap.