Unwound

Crap
Total votes: 3 (4%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 72 (96%)
Total votes: 75

Band : Unwound

I really liked them when I first heard them, and I bought Repetition. But that's the only album of theirs that I really like. I got the Future of What, and it kinda sucks. Then I saw them live, and it was very dissapointing. But maybe it was because it was 1AM at Emo's in Austin during SXSW and the Lone Star was making me sleepy.

A chick drummer is always a turn on, though.

fargokamikaze wrote:A chick drummer is always a turn on, though.

Actually I hear that when they were putting the band together they checked out a few different drummers. Now of course the chick wasn't as good but they went with her anyway because they liked the way her breasts bounced while she played.

-chas

LOL. i wonder if that's true, that they did it based on breasts rather than personality or creativity? one thing i'd say about her is that she's a better drummer than maybe 99% of the guy drummers i've heard. a stereotype that i hold that's been verified true on many occasions is that female drummers are not always the most precise, though some are, but they tend to be a lot more creative in their composition. she's certainly in that category as far as i'm concerned. i can't think of too many drummers i'd rather be in a band with than her.

Everything up to "leaves turn inside you" was brilliant. I dunno what they were thinking with that. Most of my friends into shoe-gaze and their G.Q. looks loved that one and said it was way better than the "punk crap" they did before. I just thought it was very boring and repetitive. I guess they also got some MTV airplay, and most of these shoe-gaze MBV fanatics I know only like stuff that is legitimized by David Kendoll or whatever phony is promoting fake alternative music on MTV these days. (Honestly, these are friends of mine, despite how much I am bagging on their asses).

I also notice they colored their hair and got their cool alternative looks in order for that last album. Another turn off for me. Really, I don't care, but I wish they spent more time on the music than their looks...

As far as punk crap, they were way more art rock. The "space is the place" reference is such a nod to Sun Ra. But you know, if music isn't from 1991+, most alt hipsters wouldn't know about it. After all, you might here a "cheesy" organ solo on a Sun Ra album. Ewwww... jazz...

Use a little distortion and have a grungy lo-fi recording, and it's "punk crap" despite how interesting and compelling the music is. If you make a sterile recording and color your hair, suddenly you're the cat's meow. Most people don't understand music, so they judge it based on other factors. The style, attitude, or whatever. Their last album was crap!!! Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe writing simple songs that drone on and on is better than complicated, well thought out songs (almost compositions). Isn't that sort of what shoe-gaze is all about? Posturing, fashion, and playing the same droney boring stuff over and over with lots of effects... then acting arrogant and thinking you're better than the "masses", when really that shoe gaze stuff has less musicianship than a 4th grade orchestra.

Repitition is great. The future of what is great. New Plastic ideas is great. Civilization is OK, but it was the beggining of the end...

I don't get why anyone would say The Future Of What is crap. That's the one with Natural Disasters, non? GREAT!!! One of my faves.

I don't miss them. Their last album kind of made me feel it was time for them to go. I'm assuming they broke up.

Sara Lund is an above average drummer. Yes, she is better than many male drummers out there. She's no Billy Cobham, but she is creative and plays well... I don't think they got her because of her bosoms. She's not that hot. Kinda plain, but that was what was cool about Unwound. They didn't have the rock star looks until the last album. I'm almost glad they broke up. That last one I listened to 2 times, and it was really long, boring, and the recording was too sterile for Unwound. Those Steve Fisk recordings with the bass making the snare rattle were so cool.

Those classic Unwound albums are the best thing to listen to on a rainy day.