Brian DePalma

Crap
Total votes: 13 (62%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 8 (38%)
Total votes: 21

Filmmaker: Brian DePalma

Hmmm. Of late, complete crap. SnakeEyes and The Black Dahlia are jaw-droppingly awful, Mission To Mars, Bonfire Of The Vanities, Mission Impossible, all pretty piss-poor.

I really like Carlito's Way and Carrie, and The Untouchables and Scarface are good fun.

So many of his more recent films look really flat and syntheticy, like cheap-ish TV drama.

So probably CRAP with waffles
yaledelay wrote:FUCK YOU APPLE PIE you are a old man...

Dudley wrote:Hmmm. Of late, complete crap. SnakeEyes and The Black Dahlia are jaw-droppingly awful, Mission To Mars, Bonfire Of The Vanities, Mission Impossible, all pretty piss-poor.

I really like Carlito's Way and Carrie, and The Untouchables and Scarface are good fun.

So many of his more recent films look really flat and syntheticy, like cheap-ish TV drama.

So probably CRAP with waffles

I agree with this.

Take it to the limit, DePalma.

Scarface- Not Crap
The Untouchables- Not Crap
Carlito's Way- Not Crap
Mission: Impossible- Kinda meh
Snake Eyes- Crap w/ waffles for cool camera work
Mission to Mars- Crap
Femme Fatale- Crap
Black Dahlia- The highest order of CRAP

It seems he's getting crappier as he goes along, so I'm afraid CRAP it is.
Tiny Monk site and blog

DePalma is a hack. I like Blow Out, Sisters, Dressed to Kill, and Body Double okay, but that's about it. His work is nowhere near as engaging as that of the directors he steals from.

I have read that he and Dario Argento have some sort of long-standing feud. On his best day, DePalma cannot touch Argento.

CRAP.
matthew wrote:His Life and his Death gives us LIFE.......supernatural life- which is His own life because he is God and Man. This is all straight Catholicism....no nuttiness or mystical crap here.

Oh very very Crap. I think every film he's made is deeply flawed or at least very clunky direction wose. Those that placeholder mentions are all ok. I, for the life of me, can't work out how he attracts the big name casts he does. What he does well, however, is plunder others work(Hitchcock or Eisenstein for example), not unlike Tarantino.

boilermaker wrote:Oh very very Crap. I think every film he's made is deeply flawed or at least very clunky direction wose. Those that placeholder mentions are all ok. I, for the life of me, can't work out how he attracts the big name casts he does. What he does well, however, is plunder others work(Hitchcock or Eisenstein for example), not unlike Tarantino.

I disagree. His direction (at his best) is far from clunky because of his often strong visual style and the fluidity of his camerawork. Is he on par with Hitchcock or even Scorsese? Of course not. He has made, especially recently, a lot of duds but that doesn't take away from his best work. Simply saying he just steals is also an oversimplification. He infuses those cinematic ideas of Hitchcock or Eisenstein with his own auteurist approach.
Last edited by punch_the_lion_Archive on Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Kaboom!

placeholder wrote:I have read that he and Dario Argento have some sort of long-standing feud. On his best day, DePalma cannot touch Argento.

Argento has made as much dreck as DePalma. He hasn't even directed a decent film since the 1980's.The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Deep Reed and Suspiria are the only ones I would rate really highly. At least DePalma has been eclectic and mixed genres with misfires along the way. I think "hack" is too harsh a descriptor.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Kaboom!