Akira Kurosawa

Crap
Total votes: 1 (5%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 21 (95%)
Total votes: 22

Filmmaker: Akira Kurosawa

NC

Even if you prefer less westernized takes from the japanese film industry or for some other reason aren't enamored of Kurosawa's obvious excellence no crap vote can reasonably be made.

Contrarians aside.

And having Mifune around was indeed an incredible boon. An all time on-screen presence.

I have yet to see a Kurosawa film that I didn't like.

He's pretty good.

Two years back, when I first started posting here (under a slightly different screen name), I think I probably overstated my opinion that Kurosawa is an overrated director. I still believe he's both good and overrated, but it probably came out the wrong way when I originally said it. So Akira, wherever you are or aren't, I'm sorry for that.

Anyway, Kurosawa definitely knew how to put a film together. I'd like to see some of his more obscure titles, like The Idiot and I Live In Fear. True, I have yet to see some of his more well known films (like Stray Dogs and Ran), but I get the feeling that a significant chunk of Kurosawa's best work is fairly hidden in light of his more popular titles. (Unfortunately this is the case with far too many directors.)

But yeah, Not Crap.

(I still think Hitchcock is crap, though.)

not crap

i've seen: drunken angel, stray dog, rashomon, ikiru, seven samurai, lower depths, yojimbo, high and low, dodesukaden, kagemusha, ran and dreams. i liked them all to varying degrees (my favorites are more often than not the more modern times and crime dramas). there's still a lot more i want to see and i'll be very happy to get through his entire filmography one day.

also, as much as i like mifune my favorite is takashi shimura and the sexiest was tatsuya nakadai.