Quentin Tarantino

crap
Total votes: 12 (19%)
not crap
Total votes: 51 (81%)
Total votes: 63

Filmmaker: Quentin Tarantino

Not crap but extremely over rated. I'll take resevoir dogs over any of his newer flicks. His flicks seem like they have lost the edge the earlier ones had. It might be that Res Dogs is one of my favorite movies of all time, It just seems now that he's got $$$$$$ he is a little less worried with the scripts and dialogue and more into which Kangol hat he should wear on MTV. But hey thats his thing, his movies are still decent, and when I plunk down my hard earned green on one of them at least I know it will be well done.

Resevoir Dogs was way gritty and just plain awsome. but since then i agree that his films have lost some edge, i mean look at RD compared to Pulp, Pulp wasnt half as dirty as RD (but it did have a good story) Pulp Fiction also set the bar too high for independant films to have to make money. all that said,

not crap
"I think that most music is dangerous because it tends to systematize thought -- you think in patterns -- you "know" what's coming before you even hear it." Boyd Rice

Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were excellent movies. You couldn't expect anything more from a film-maker.

Jackie Brown and Kill Bill were decent but tried to rely on style more than substance which lets them down.

True Romance and From Dusk Til Dawn were both good films, written by him.

Natural Born Killers probably would have been great had he directed it himself. As it stands it's decent but the Oliver Stone-ness makes it an effort to watch.
simmo wrote:Someone make my carrot and grapefruits smoke. Please.

skatingbasser wrote:From Dusk Till Dawn started out pretty cool...

Agreed! I'm totally into weird vampire bullshit, but the vampire twist in this movie really derailed the plot they'd developed for about an hour, and the vampires looked really stupid to boot. And, casting Cheech Marin in 3 roles...c'mon. Peter Sellers, he ain't.

Ya know what else bothers me about his movies? The language gets really, really tiring. The word "fuck" means absolutely nothing after 10 minutes of constant use. Also, what's with his constant use of "the N word?" Is he making some kind of comment I'm missing? Any QT buffs out there, please fill me in.

As for Pulp Fiction, I only like the parts with Samuel L... The Bruce Willis and Uma Thurman parts are lame shock value wank. The contrarian in me really wants to say CRAP, but I'll land just north of the crap border, since I don't find his movies to be totally without value:
NOT CRAP, WF 8.
Hi Ho, Six Shooter!
Branchdweller Summer Camp