Captain Beefheart

CRAP
Total votes: 3 (3%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 84 (97%)
Total votes: 87

Captain Beefheart

a bud and i were drunk and spewing music talk last night and wound up meditating on beefheart for a while. i had asked him why i should like king crimson. and the root of his answer was that it seems kind of sterile now, but "for the time" it was really bold and technically amazing. bah. the counter for that idea that music was good for the period of its inception was given by the mention of beefheart. in the age of hella, lightning bolt, the locust, and all that mind-trip craziness, beefheart's records (some as old as 35 years) are still so relevant and eye-opening. i cannot imagine hearing trout mask in 1969. that would probably have inspired my belief in extraterrestrials.

all gold:
safe as milk
trout mask replica
lick my decals off baby
doc at the radar station

also for folks with an acute interest, look in to purchasing the 5-disc box set "grow fins" released by renevant. it is thoroughly affordable if you pruchase it directly from the label and comes with a 100-something page chronicle of the various incarnations of beefheart by john "drumbo" french. it is worth the price of admission for disc 3 alone which is all instrumental versions of songs they played for trout mask as recorded in their "compound" and scrapped by beefheart as being "cheap." it is amazing to hear their instrumentation without the overbearing vocals by don van vliet. disc 5 has a version of orange claw hammer done with frank zappa playing acoustic guitar which gives that song a whole new life and depth. also features don stopping in the middle of singing on a radio broadcast and refusing to go any further because "the mic is too small."

Captain Beefheart

areopagite wrote:disc 5 has a version of orange claw hammer done with frank zappa playing acoustic guitar which gives that song a whole new life and depth.

This is my favorite thing, and maybe the biggest revelation, on the "Grow Fins" box.

It is very surprising, and beautiful and moving, to hear Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa play this song together in the way they do.