dinosaur jr

crap
Total votes: 13 (14%)
not crap
Total votes: 77 (86%)
Total votes: 90

Band: Dinosaur Jr

so I like 'You're Living All Over Me' as much as the next guy, but I don't understand why sleepy, Neil Young-ish vocals and soloing out the ass has garnered Mascis such a commanding rep--I mean, why him and not Cris Kirkwood? Mascis has been churning out the same old shit for years, and if he didn't play at such debilitating volume, people might hang around long enough to notice how fucking boring he is live. Why aren't all you hippie haters running after this guy with a lynch-rope? I blame him for the whole let's-act-like-we-just-woke-up-from-a-nap, anti-showmanship school of performance that is ruining rock music. He is the enemy.

I don't think J. Mascis has a "commanding rep" anymore.

You could look at him and see tremendous potential. He had a lot of the elements that could make a great rock artist. He just hasn't lived up to it.

Dinosaur/Dinosaur Jr. is N/C.

I believe it was 1988. I was on acid, sitting alone in my '82 Accord with the seat tilted back, looking at the stars through the sun roof, listening to 'You're Living All Over Me' at max volume , feeling something I cannot describe...but that night I identified with Mascis on an emotional level that has been duplicated none times since, and thought that was the greatest album ever made..

yes, you may say it was the drug, but when I saw them a couple years later I had almost the same feeling. So loud, with such beautiful wankery.

Bug has more than a couple good moments, (except for the first song, which should be banned) but on that night man, I had a great ride.

as teenager - not crap
as growing up man - crap
joelahrens@yahoo.com

Not crap. I still go to his solo acoustic guitar shows. "You're Living All Over Me" is one of my all time favorite albums. Even if I didn't like this, the influence Dino Jr. has had on so many others is tremendous. J. Mascis was a punk rocker who wasn't afraid to indulge in guitar solos, at a time when it just wasn't fashionable. The lo-fi-ness was also influential. His vocal stylings are also quite unique (although, I swear, if you listen to "Carpet Crawlers" on Genesis' LLDOB, it sounds like J. Mascis is singing! It would not surprise me if he listened to Genesis, because I know for a fact he is a fan of other classic progressive rock. But this could be entirely coincidental).

I feel that as time went on, the material started to get weak...

I bought the J Mascis + The Fog album "More Light". It's OK, but nothing like YLAOM.

I'll still see him live, if he ever plays a show. I saw a show where he did an acoustic set, and then played with Cobra Verde, but the latter set didn't really get me on board. It lacked the oddness and uniqueness that Dinosaur Jr. had. It sounded like too many bands I've already heard...