Pixies, The?

CRAP
Total votes: 28 (23%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 92 (77%)
Total votes: 120

Band: Pixies, The

The Pixies...so good. I once saw Black Francis play solo (while he was still in the Pixies before he was Frank Black...my guess it was '88, '89) and he did Pixie songs with just his singing and his guitar 'parts'. It was way out. You really got to see just how obtuse and bizarre and fragmented his playing was at that point. A very inspiring night.

Not crap.

drummer has tempo problems and is non-creative

I never noticed tempo problems, but that may just be me. One of the things I found most creative about The Pixies was the drumming - not so much in his inventiveness, but in his interesting choices for what to steal. Which I suppose could just as well be called inventiveness.

Anyway, something that impressed me about this band was those funky drummer beats he'd play. I remember hearing their music, these grindy indie-rock guitars and freakish singing w/the drummer playing these cool little dance grooves, and I thought, "damn, that's new."

I used to like them alot. I don't like them so much anymore, but they were an exciting new thing and an inspiration back in the day, so not crap.

The Pixies got a long way with their association with 4AD. They never did anything for me. Black Francis annoyed me which probably had something to do with it. There was a good article in MOJO magazine about the Pixies a few years which makes him out to be quite the prima donna. His solo records have also told me my first impression was right.

not crap.

although the first time i heard trompe le monde it gave me a very bad headache.
surfer rosa has one of my favorite recording sounds ever.

drummer has tempo problems...

what do you mean problems? what's wrong with tempo change? if a song feels right speeding up or slowing down, how is it a problem? that and i guess i've just never noticed it in their songs

Chris Hardings wrote:I vote crap.
they're drummer has tempo problems and is non-creative (or he just can't do anything else). Surfer Rosa really exposed their lack of dynamic, and creativity.

Stunned Rubby of Camberwell. "tempo problems ... non-creative ... lack of dynamic"??? These words to describe The Mighty Pixies? How wrong can one person be?

Do not know where to begin with comments like this, just have a feeling of exasperation. Lack of dynamic my ass.

Am going to take a cold shower and calm down now.