ZZ Top

CRAP
Total votes: 18 (17%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 86 (83%)
Total votes: 104

Band: ZZ Top

oh, fuck, i can't believe this is even being discussed. oh, wait, yes i can. so they made some (debatably) shitty stuff later, who cares. their first few records are so incredible. billy gibbons was and is such a motherfucker, and no chorus pedal or drum machine can change that. frank beard, when he wasn't too fucked to play the drums (see: the eighties), was just as good. listen to the insane tight stuff he does before the drum machine records.

they are the least crappy of the bands listed so far. for the gatefold on tres hombres alone. i met my fiancee talking about zz top, no shit. a kid in the neighborhood (the kid with the trampoline, whom i hope everyone knew some equivalent of as a youth) and i used to name trampoline moves after their 80's records (the afterburner, the eliminator, etc...). i take this too personally. but anyone 'dissing' zz top breaks my heart.

so not crap.

I agree. Almost everything before "Eliminator" was right on, especially "Tres Hombres" and their first record. I think it was s/t.

Little known fact: The reason why Billy and Dusty have beards and wear sunglasses almost completely obscuring their faces is because they are replaced ever 5 or 6 years with new actors playing their parts, like they did with Benji. It's true! Play 'La Grange' backwards and you can hear right at the end, "I buried Dusty and Billy....". I think Frank was the Walrus. Not positive, but pretty sure.

hey dylan (what's up broseph),

you know what? agreed on the 'sampler era.' it occured to me (funnily enough, while listening to every zz top record i own this weekend), that i don't own anything past 'deguello,' and me saying '....so they did some shitty stuff later, who cares....' is kind of unfounded, because my only opinion on any later stuff is based on mtv 15 years ago or whatever. so chap my hide and fuck me up with carmex if i don't get every goddamn zz top record by the end of the year. kind of strange to like a band so much and not own anything they've done in the last 24 years (2/3 of their career).

and i might add that '(somebody else been) shaking your tree,' the first song on 'zz top's first album' (their, uh, well...... their first album) might be the best statement of purpose any band has put forth on record. i don't think they've wavered from the formula in 30+ years. bless their texas hearts.

good god, how do i love zz top so much,
matt clark

Rio Grande Mud, Deguello etc.: Good ,

However I have to say that I did hear the new Mescellaro album and it could be one of the worst things i've ever heard.

Who else has heard this "remasters" whre beard supposedly re-recorded the drums? This sounds horrible.

-Wilson

scelops wrote:Rio Grande Mud, Deguello etc.: Good ,

However I have to say that I did hear the new Mescellaro album and it could be one of the worst things i've ever heard.

Who else has heard this "remasters" whre beard supposedly re-recorded the drums? This sounds horrible.

-Wilson

I heard the whole deal with the remasters was that everything was put on a grid and 'drums' were 'applied', if you know what I mean. I thought it was a dance floor thing. Simply terrible.