Will Oldham?

CRAP
Total votes: 17 (16%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 92 (84%)
Total votes: 109

Songwriter: Will Oldham-Palace-Bonnie Prince Billy

I can't believe we've missed this. I searched the forum 3 times with different queries and can't find Mr. Oldham being C/NC'ed at all.

The first time I heard Will Oldham was on a pirate radio station, singing "Come In". I didn't know what to think of this man's voice - my initial response of "Oh Christ, this guy can't hold a note..." was overwhelmed in seconds by the utter beauty of the song, and his performance of it.

"Lost Blues" is a peerless album. Despite sounding like a group of drunkards on a porch at times, it is IMO Palace's best album.

"I See a Darkness" got me through some nasty times back when it came out.

I envy Will Oldham for his sincerity, songwriting skills, and ability to enchant live audiences.

Not Crap, but I'm sure there are people here that believe he's useless.

Ok, so that was a long post. I sure hope this hasn't been done before and it wasn't all in vain...

I have been a fan of Palace Brothers since that great Ohio River Boat 7". I will be honest... I bought it because it was the Slint folks backing him. It and the first LP were played to death in my home that year.

I have been lucky enough to have played with Will. He seems to be as genuine as he comes across on record. He also is as smart and sly and is constantly fucking with you without you knowing. I think that is a Louisville thing. They are either one step ahead of you or 500 behind but since the earth is round, the 500th is right around the same place as the one step ahead, you know what I mean?

Some of Will output is less important to me. I guess with as much as he has done, he has to miss the target now and then. Mostly though I think he can carry it all on his shoulders. Give him a crappy backing band... give him a strange lyric, a seemingly boring traditional progression/arrangement, and somehow he makes it all work.

Not Crap.

Mayfair wrote:He also is as smart and sly and is constantly fucking with you without you knowing. I think that is a Louisville thing. They are either one step ahead of you or 500 behind but since the earth is round, the 500th is right around the same place as the one step ahead, you know what I mean?

Ha! This reminds me of some of my Southern cousins. Cool as all get out, but I have watched them (more than once) languidly explain to a guy that he was the dumbest man in most of recorded history. (The drawl goes along at its own pace but you know that brain is racing along 300 times faster than the conversation.) He smiled and nodded, not getting it, the entire time.

The rest of the room got it, though.

I'm very, very glad they're on my side.

I'll relate Mayfair's 500 step analogy to them. They will enjoy it very much. Salut, Mayfair!

One of the more recent records, Master and Everyone? How I love that record. (Some of the rest of it, not as much.)

NOT CRAP.

Mayfair wrote:He also is as smart and sly and is constantly fucking with you without you knowing. I think that is a Louisville thing. They are either one step ahead of you or 500 behind but since the earth is round, the 500th is right around the same place as the one step ahead, you know what I mean?

Fuck. We're busted.

I'm inclined to say that Will is my generation's Leonard Cohen, if not yet our Bob Dylan, but I suspect he is only getting warmed up. I look forward to listening to his records for the rest of my life. And I will endure considerable hardship to see him perform, anytime, anyplace.