Steely Dan

CRAP
Total votes: 62 (44%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 80 (56%)
Total votes: 142

Band: Steely Dan

I am a big fan, not of anything recent (which I haven't heard) but of all sorts of their old stuff. They have a "vibe" that rubs many people the wrong way, something I can understand - it's mellow jazzy rock, fer gosh sake!

Still, I can listen to & enjoy this band any time.

They also have entertaining tour journals, including a 1996 plea ("Dear Anne Heche") for higher-profile celebrities to start showing up backstage.

Crap.

It's weird-- I only know a handful of their songs, but whenever I hear a few notes I can always tell it's them. They suck in a very specific way that rarely escapes my attention. Whenever I hear their music, I get depressed. There's something so soul-less about it, that it borders on creepy for me. What's even worse is that my girlfriend really likes them. I feel the same way about Steely Dan that Albini does about the Stones... I just dont get the appeal at all. Great musicians? Maybe, probably, whatever... but my god what dreadful songs.

I was never a Steely Dan fan. The closest I came was watching a great homage band called Project Dan many years ago... gave me insight into the songs and arrangements that I had never seen or heard due to the shiny, high gloss, waterproof production of the records.
Last edited by Mayfair_Archive on Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, this is a close one so far.

Hopefully we can settle the score here at C/NC, making all future discussions about Steely Dan totally pointless. It's one of those things - either you get it or you don't. But if you don't get it you are missing out on some really NOT CRAP music and you should pick up a copy of Pretzel Logic. It's usually only a dollar.

What great lyrics those gentlemen wrote.

-Chas.

i'd give them a not crap for Your Gold Teeth II alone. one of my earliest memories from childhood is hearing, and loving, the song Black Friday. granted i was a little disappointed when, as a big steely dan fan in college, i found out they're named after a dildo. they definitely have a creepy factor going on. i'm still pretty convinced ricky (the one who fagan hopes won't lose his number) is a doude. but i definitely enjoy a lot of their songs, with Katy Lied and Aja standing out as albums i rather enjoy. and King Of The World, i think that's an untouchably great song, music-wise anyways.

Mayfair wrote:I was never a Steely Dan fan. The closest I came was watching a great homage band called Project Dan many years ago... gave me insight into the songs and arrangements that I hade never seen or heard due to the shiny, high gloss, waterproof production of the records.

Awwww, quit it....