Shellac?

crap
Total votes: 18 (10%)
not crap
Total votes: 171 (90%)
Total votes: 189

Band: Shellac

Everyone has their Shellac stories, I'm sure...

Those two nights at the GAMH in San Francisco a couple years back were something else though, what a lineup: Neurosis, Zeni Geva, Oxbow, Thrones, Isis...what a fucking rock show. Bob's t-shirts were funny ("Cheer up Emo Dude" the 2nd night, "I Am Still A Virgin" the 1st)

My friend is still creeped out by Steve writing 'As blue as your eyes, lover..." on his Terraform LP at the Cookesville (?) TN show with Hosemobile...

Actually, if you look at any band that's good, their drummer is good. Replace any of those drummers with slightly less adequate drummers and it immediately makes a band no good.

Have you ever heard Nirvana's Bleach? They were horrible without Dave Grohl. (although I'd rather listen to bleach than Nevermind)

Chris Hardings wrote:
Have you ever heard Nirvana's Bleach? They were horrible without Dave Grohl. (although I'd rather listen to bleach than Nevermind)

There was more than one drummer on that record actually. A drummer named Chad Channing played on most of it, and Dale Crover (Melvins) plays on two songs. Play the record without reading the notes and I'm sure you'll figure out which two.

:D

I remember watching Grohl play in Scream on their last tour and I was really blown away, I was pretty stoked to hear when he joined Nirvana. Nice kid.
http://evonoche.com

bomberz1qr20 wrote:
the Classical wrote:not crap

trainer's in the band, no way it could be crap

I'd say the drums really save that band.

:P

I think Shellac is competent all the way around. Todd Trainer is a great drummer indeed, but the guitar and bass playing certainly does it for me... Especially on At Action Park.

Goes without sayin', NOT CRIZZAP. One of the few bands whose records almost perfectly represent their live performance. Consistently awesome. I think they set the standard for quality control in rock music.

But on a Fanboy note, Todd is the most interesting element in this band. I have learned alot about good rock drumming by watching him play. And he looks like a comic book assassin or something. I fear him. This may sound weird to y'all, but I always wondered how much better the movie "The Professional" would've been if Jean Reno's part was played by Todd Trainer. Can you see that?
josh bonati | www.bonatimastering.com | www.sleeep.com/aa