Band: Can

Crap
Total votes: 5 (7%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 69 (93%)
Total votes: 74

Technically, Can were crappy for longer than they weren't

Painfully, horribly true my friend. The were flawless between 1968 and 73, then a little ropey with the odd flash of brilliance, then pretty dire. But they did put out at least six (Delay to Future Days) consecutively amazing albums and so navigate themselves out of the crap zone.

The DVD? it's out alright and that's even more of Peter Green/Stevie Nicks knifedge, some wonderful longhair freakout moments (Can Free Concert), a deeply disturbing German TV clip of them playing (shirtless - not pretty) over an early chromakey experiment, worryingly glam later concert footage and scads of pointless filler. Tread carefully.

I read a description of the DVD, and it seems to duplicate a lot of the stuff that is on the VHS video from the 'Can Box.' I didn't see any new material that seemed interesting, and a lot that didn't (is there really footage of the Red Hot Chili Peppers inducting them in to some kind of Euro Hall of Fame? Did I really read that?).

Having said that...If you consider yourself a big fan, you really need to have this 'Free Concert 1972' at your disposal. The band is fucking howling, Damo is on fire (and stuffed into an amazing full-body jumpsuit thing), and there's a middle-aged vaudeville guy doing juggling tricks on stage while they play. So, buy the DVD for that.

I read a description of the DVD, and it seems to duplicate a lot of the stuff that is on the VHS video from the 'Can Box.' I didn't see any new material that seemed interesting, and a lot that didn't (is there really footage of the Red Hot Chili Peppers inducting them in to some kind of Euro Hall of Fame? Did I really read that?).

Having said that...If you consider yourself a big fan, you really need to have this 'Free Concert 1972' at your disposal. The band is fucking howling, Damo is on fire (and stuffed into an amazing full-body jumpsuit thing), and there's a middle-aged vaudeville guy doing juggling tricks on stage while they play. So, buy the DVD for that.