CRAP
Total votes: 13 (7%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 178 (93%)
Total votes: 191

Band: the Jesus Lizard

Emphatically NOT CRAP

Oh the stories. Oh the live shows.

The first e.p. was circulating my senior year in high school, lauded for both content and pedigree.

Then the Chrome/7 vs. 8 single came out. Holy Lord. I wore that one out.

Then one of my best friends went to college at U of I Champaign at the end of the summer. The day before I went to school he called me up and told me to go see TJL as he had just seen them play and they were playing in Chicago tonight. Went to the Cubby Bear (!?! remember when they used to book good shows?) and saw what was to be a defining moment in rock/punk/aggro music history. The Jesus Lizard opening for Urge Overkill and the Didjits. Sweet Baby Jesus Santa.

So many stories....how about when Prof. Albini came out and played the Dicks' "Wheelchair Epidemic" at the Lounge Ax?

Without question, the best band, the most visceral shows that I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing over and over. I've learned great amounts from exposure to their tightly wound berserker rain dance.

Mac for drum part engineering prowess
Duane for slashing spidery guitarcraft
D Wm. Sims for being the quintessential bass player
Yow for his Yowness

Have probably ruined me for live rock music.

An astonishing band, and very not crap.

Although, I found it hard to enjoy "Blue", and the only time I saw them live was a few months before they broke up and it wasn't as life-changing as others have described.

I remember at that gig that they had a replacement drummer (Brendan Murphy) who was very solid but nothing like McNeilly. Also, they played "Killer McHann" in 8/8 rather than 7/8, which was pretty disturbing to hear. I don't know if they did that to accomodate the new drummer, but I wasn't too impressed.

She was working at the UNM radio station in Albuquerque (where we met), and she did a bunch of publicity for the Lizard, so she got invited to meet them. She was pretty young and all nervous around a band she really loved. But she's meeting all of them and they're really nice, and relaxed and thankful, and a bunch of stuff she's never gotten from assholes in asshole bands. So then Yow comes in and they grab him and he starts shaking her hand then leans into the garbage and starts retching. However, he never stops shaking her hand the whole time he's puking his guts out. She tells that story all the time.

Now that's a gentleman!